AMERICA/UNITED STATES - 800 women and 18 000 children under five years of age die from preventable causes worldwide every day
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - About 800 mothers and 18 000 children under five years of age die from preventable causes Worldwide every day . This is what is stated in the report "State of the World’s Mothers" just published by the NGO Save the Children. The majority of infant deaths is increasingly concentrated in the most vulnerable and marginalized area of the world, many of whom are involved in armed conflict. The study indicates that more than 250 million children under 5 years of age live in Countries affected by armed conflict, and 95% are victims of natural disasters recorded in Countries in the developing world. Globally, women and children are at a 14 times higher risk than men to die from a disaster, and for each person who dies in the violence in armed conflict, between 3 and 15 die indirectly for disease, health complications and malnutrition. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/05/2014)
- 2015-08-20 - Over 50 thousand Hispanics waiting for the Pope in Washington
- 2015-08-06 - Mgr. Farrell remembers Catholics the duty to welcome foreigners
- 2015-08-05 - Bishops praise Obama's plan to cutt carbon dioxide emissions
- 2015-07-29 - Local Catholic Church applauds order to release detained Central American families
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"
- 2015-05-08 - One hundred immigrants in one day: the flow does not stop, and mostly affects families
- 2015-05-05 - Cardinal Maradiaga visits Central American migrants detained in Dilley
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop of Baltimore: "truth will heal the wounds"