AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Fortnight for freedom": campaign to promote religious freedom
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - "Fortnight for freedom": is the title of the campaign that takes place in the United States from June 21, on the eve of the feast of St. John Fisher and St. Thomas More, until July 4, Independence Day. The campaign, sponsored by the Bishops, intends to focus primarily on religious freedom promoted. The liturgical calendar celebrates in this period a large number of martyrs who remained loyal in the face of persecution on behalf of the political power: St. John Fisher and St. Thomas More, St. John the Baptist, Saints Peter and Paul. As reported in a note sent to Fides, this is the third edition of the campaign, which this year will focus on the theme "Freedom to serve".
The campaign consists of 15 days of prayer, reflections, catechesis and events to mobilize the Catholic community and to draw public attention to the defense of a fundamental principle, religious freedom. The American church today sees this right limited by policies that would like to hinder believers to express and practice their ethical and religious convictions. In particular, the theme for this edition emphasizes the close connection between religious freedom and service to the poor and most vulnerable.
The initiative will provide an opportunity for Catholics to "join in prayer with the men and women who throughout history spread the Gospel and put into practice Christ's call to serve the last even in the toughest conditions", explains Mgr. William Lori, chairman of the Bishops' Commission for Religious Freedom who on June 21 will start the campaign with a mass mobilization broadcast live on television from the Basilica in Baltimore. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2014)
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"
- 2015-05-08 - One hundred immigrants in one day: the flow does not stop, and mostly affects families
- 2015-05-05 - Cardinal Maradiaga visits Central American migrants detained in Dilley
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop of Baltimore: "truth will heal the wounds"
- 2015-04-10 - New appeal to the President to finally solve the problems of immigrant families
- 2015-03-30 - Little Sisters of The Poor gather for last Mass in Cleveland
- 2015-03-30 - Submitted a bill to facilitate the immigration of Middle Eastern persecuted Christians
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"
- 2015-03-27 - Delegation of Bishops to visit a detention center for immigrant families
- 2015-03-27 - Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV has passed away