EUROPE/ITALY - DRUG ADDICTION IS SUBORDINATED TO THIRST FOR LOVE, LATENT SUFFERING, INNER FRAGILITY AND LACK OF EDUCATION TO LIFE
Rome (Fides Service) – Many questions were tackled during the International Symposium “Caring for Others: drug addiction, experience and ethics” held 23-25 June in Rome. From the conclusions presented by Rev. Egidio Smacchia, President of the Italian Federation of Therapy Communities FICT, there emerged the need for greater reflection on the human person and on the problem of drug addiction from various points of view. FICT, as a centre for research and therapy and rehabilitation, has always operated at broad range, ensuring that its operators and educators are updated and specialised, taking into account addiction in all its forms. This is why the Symposium focussed mainly on the human person, and the person’s situation of unease.
“The Symposium aimed to offer the opportunity to counter indifference on these problems besides bring a way to recall that only through widespread work of diffusion and education involving all sectors, family, school, world of sport and politics – can we think of a project for the promotion of youth and its potential” said Rev. Smacchia. “It is impossible to rehabilitate a person unless we provide education, take into account that drug addiction is subordinated to thirst for love, latent suffering, inner fragility and lack of education to life”. A person must take an active part in his or her own rehabilitation and learn to take care of him or herself in order, one day, to face life alone. With this in mind operators have a difficult, demanding task to form and accompany young people who often view others with hostile diffidence.
“To work with and for the person – Rev Smacchia concluded – to have faith in them, to consider difficulties not a limit but rather a tool of strength: caring for others, people who are different from me, this is the real challenge.” AP (Fides Service 26/6/2003 EM lines 38 Words: 478)
- 2013-09-23 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 AFRICA - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure
- 2012-05-12 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN - The "Party of Solidarity" at risk, accused by "warlords"
- 2012-04-18 ASIA/AFGHANISTAN -Apprehension for disabled children of the Pro Children Association of Kabul