AFRICA/EGYPT - Candidates Sabbahi and al-Sisi at the Easter Vigil to be celebrated by Coptic Pope Tawadros
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Egyptian presidential candidates Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Hamdeen Sabbahi may both participate in the Easter Vigil to be held on Saturday evening in the cathedral of San Marco, in the district of Abbasiya in Cairo. The liturgy will be celebrated by the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II. The security around the cathedral will be assured by the police and the army, joined by volunteers from the Coptic community.
Former General al-Sisi, who has already submitted the necessary signatures in support of his candidacy, is recognized by all observers as the favorite in the upcoming presidential elections on 27-28 May. Recently, the general said that "the religious issue is the biggest battle and challenge that the Egyptian people have to face", hoping in the triumph of a "new vision" and a "modern, adequate understanding of the Islamic religion". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 16/04/2014)
- 2015-01-23 - Coptic Associations are working on a document on the rights of citizenship
- 2015-01-20 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the Church does not interfere in elections
- 2015-01-17 - With Patriarch Mathias’ visit, evidence of "ecclesial mediation" on the controversial Ethiopian dam
- 2015-01-16 - The Assembly of Catholic Bishops discusses support for Christian schools
- 2015-01-15 - The Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the cartoons on Muhammad are offensive
- 2015-01-09 - Salafist leader condemns the violence against Copts in Libya
- 2015-01-07 - President al-Sisi attends Coptic Christmas mass at Cairo Abbasiya Cathedral
- 2015-01-05 - An 'educational manual' on the internet for jihadist mothers
- 2015-01-05 - Copts abducted in Libya. For Islamists they are "legitimate targets"
- 2014-12-29 - Security measures strengthened for the Coptic Christmas celebrations