AFRICA/EGYPT - Candidates Sabbahi and al-Sisi at the Easter Vigil to be celebrated by Coptic Pope Tawadros
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Egyptian presidential candidates Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Hamdeen Sabbahi may both participate in the Easter Vigil to be held on Saturday evening in the cathedral of San Marco, in the district of Abbasiya in Cairo. The liturgy will be celebrated by the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II. The security around the cathedral will be assured by the police and the army, joined by volunteers from the Coptic community.
Former General al-Sisi, who has already submitted the necessary signatures in support of his candidacy, is recognized by all observers as the favorite in the upcoming presidential elections on 27-28 May. Recently, the general said that "the religious issue is the biggest battle and challenge that the Egyptian people have to face", hoping in the triumph of a "new vision" and a "modern, adequate understanding of the Islamic religion". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 16/04/2014)
- 2014-12-19 - Islamist threats against the Christmas celebration; Muslim leaders: we defend the churches together with Christians
- 2014-12-15 - Al Azhar: those who commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam cannot be labelled "infidel"
- 2014-12-13 - The Coptic Orthodox Church: "Employment Day" for young job seekers
- 2014-12-10 - The government is studying the draft electoral law, 24 seats reserved for Christians
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – In Minya Governatorate in 4 years some 120 million Egyptian pounds paid in ransom for kidnapped Christians
- 2014-12-04 - For Copt Catholic Bishop Antonios Mina the anti-Islamist terrorism Conference at al-Azhar was “epochal”
- 2014-12-03 - Conference on Islam and Terrorism at Al Azhar. Imam al- Tayyeb: “takfirist” extremism perverts the Islamic religion
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West