AFRICA/EGYPT - Candidates Sabbahi and al-Sisi at the Easter Vigil to be celebrated by Coptic Pope Tawadros
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Egyptian presidential candidates Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Hamdeen Sabbahi may both participate in the Easter Vigil to be held on Saturday evening in the cathedral of San Marco, in the district of Abbasiya in Cairo. The liturgy will be celebrated by the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II. The security around the cathedral will be assured by the police and the army, joined by volunteers from the Coptic community.
Former General al-Sisi, who has already submitted the necessary signatures in support of his candidacy, is recognized by all observers as the favorite in the upcoming presidential elections on 27-28 May. Recently, the general said that "the religious issue is the biggest battle and challenge that the Egyptian people have to face", hoping in the triumph of a "new vision" and a "modern, adequate understanding of the Islamic religion". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 16/04/2014)
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied
- 2015-04-29 - Reaffirmed the right of Christian workers to start work later on Sundays
- 2015-04-28 - Sinai jihadist groups threaten Copts for their support to President al-Sisi