AFRICA/EGYPT - Candidates Sabbahi and al-Sisi at the Easter Vigil to be celebrated by Coptic Pope Tawadros
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Egyptian presidential candidates Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Hamdeen Sabbahi may both participate in the Easter Vigil to be held on Saturday evening in the cathedral of San Marco, in the district of Abbasiya in Cairo. The liturgy will be celebrated by the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II. The security around the cathedral will be assured by the police and the army, joined by volunteers from the Coptic community.
Former General al-Sisi, who has already submitted the necessary signatures in support of his candidacy, is recognized by all observers as the favorite in the upcoming presidential elections on 27-28 May. Recently, the general said that "the religious issue is the biggest battle and challenge that the Egyptian people have to face", hoping in the triumph of a "new vision" and a "modern, adequate understanding of the Islamic religion". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 16/04/2014)
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity
- 2015-07-22 - A law is being requested against conversions of Christian minors without parental consent
- 2015-07-21 - The Council of Christian Churches convenes a day of prayer on the anniversary of the 1952 "Revolution"
- 2015-07-15 - Patriarch Tawadros withdraws the complaint against the militants of the "38 Copts" association
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General
- 2015-06-26 - Christians organize the "banquet of unity" for Muslims on the occasion of Ramadan
- 2015-06-25 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Gospel of Barnabas" is a fake