AFRICA/EGYPT - Clashes after the Islamist assault on a church. Four dead
Cairo (Agenzia Frides ) – An Islamist attack on the Coptic Church in the area of Ain Shams, dedicated to the Virgin Mary and the Archangel Michael, occurred on Friday, March 28 causing the death of four people, including a 25-year-old journalist, and a Coptic Christian. Demonstrations organized in various parts of the capital and other cities across the Country by supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood, represented a reaction against the official candidate in the upcoming presidential election of General Abdel Fatah al-Sisi.
In the suburb of Cairo in Ain Shams protesters carried out their violence against the church. With the intervention of the security forces, clashes spread in the neighborhood.
According to sources of the Coptic Church, it seems the woman, Sameh Merry, was killed after Islamists noticed she had a cross dangling from the mirror of her car. According to other versions, Merry was killed because of a firearm. Bishop Raphael, secretary of the Holy Synod of the Coptic Orthodox, expressed words of condolences for the death of the woman.(GV) (Agenzia Fides 29/03/2014)
- 2015-03-03 - Patriarch Tawadros meets the families of 21 martyrs; another Copt beheaded in Libya
- 2015-02-25 - Christian archaeological area risks demolition, Coptic monks lie down in front of bulldozers
- 2015-02-23 - Copt Church forms committee to evacuate Egyptians from Libya
- 2015-02-17 - Bishop Antonios Aziz Mina: Libya’s martyrs died with the name of Christ on their lips
- 2015-02-16 - 21 Copts kidnapped and murdered by jihadists in Libya are “martyrs for the faith” says Patriarch Ibrahim Isaac
- 2015-02-14 - The government: the fate of the Copts kidnapped in Libya remains unclear
- 2015-02-13 - Magazine of the Islamic State announces the execution of the Copts kidnapped in Libya
- 2015-01-31 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Christians in the Islamist electoral list. The spokesman of the Salafi: we are obliged by law
- 2015-01-28 - The Egyptian government allocates land for the construction of new churches in the capital
- 2015-01-27 - The Coptic Catholic Diocese in Minya promotes religious reconciliation in the village of Delga with concrete projects