AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The government of Ortega ready to dialogue with the Church
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) has announced that the government of Daniel Ortega has accepted the invitation to dialogue.
"This request received a positive response on Tuesday 24 March" says the note sent to Fides Agency by the CEN.
The Auxiliary Bishop of Managua and the Secretary General of CEN, His Exc. Mgr. Silvio José Báez, in a twitter to Fides stated that "in the dialogue with the government, the Church will not speak in her favor, but will be focused on the socio-economic welfare and political development of Nicaragua". Then the same Mgr. Báez warned: "There are no topics set for the dialogue. There is only the good will of the CEN to be an instrument of dialogue and communion".
Between the government of President Ortega and the Catholic Church there are good relations, but very distant, because the Bishops in the past criticized the authorities on the use of religious symbols in public events and for the alleged fraud in the 2007 elections (see Fides 16/07/2012). Since Archbishop Brenes was created Cardinal, President Ortega has, however, shown a particular interest in establishing dialogue with the Church (see Fides 12/03/2014), after seven years of failed attempts by the CEN. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/03/2014)
AMERICA/NICARAGUA – THE GOVERNMENT OF ORTEGA READY TO DIALOGUE WITH THE CHURCH
- 2015-01-20 - Pastoral letter: "Some people are more interested in profit than man himself"
- 2015-01-13 - Still controversy about the transoceanic canal: the Bishops call for clarity
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter
- 2014-11-25 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Transoceanic canal: Cardinal Brenes calls for transparency
- 2014-11-24 - Concern for the construction of the Canal: "I will not leave you alone" ensures the Bishop of Granada
- 2014-11-17 - The Church on the mega project of the Interoceanic Canal: "Everyone must be heard"
- 2014-10-01 - Initiatives and projects for 1400 child workers in Honduras and Nicaragua
- 2014-09-17 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The Bishops on Law 779: the reform is urgent, the Church is not the auxiliary of the police