AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The government of Ortega ready to dialogue with the Church
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) has announced that the government of Daniel Ortega has accepted the invitation to dialogue.
"This request received a positive response on Tuesday 24 March" says the note sent to Fides Agency by the CEN.
The Auxiliary Bishop of Managua and the Secretary General of CEN, His Exc. Mgr. Silvio José Báez, in a twitter to Fides stated that "in the dialogue with the government, the Church will not speak in her favor, but will be focused on the socio-economic welfare and political development of Nicaragua". Then the same Mgr. Báez warned: "There are no topics set for the dialogue. There is only the good will of the CEN to be an instrument of dialogue and communion".
Between the government of President Ortega and the Catholic Church there are good relations, but very distant, because the Bishops in the past criticized the authorities on the use of religious symbols in public events and for the alleged fraud in the 2007 elections (see Fides 16/07/2012). Since Archbishop Brenes was created Cardinal, President Ortega has, however, shown a particular interest in establishing dialogue with the Church (see Fides 12/03/2014), after seven years of failed attempts by the CEN. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/03/2014)
- 2014-08-19 - "Assist families but without interfering in their private lives", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
- 2014-07-30 - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops
- 2014-07-22 - The Archdiocese of Managua condemns the criminal act against innocent civilians on Saturday
- 2014-06-04 - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
- 2014-05-22 - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
- 2014-05-20 - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
- 2014-05-14 - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting
- 2014-04-08 - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"
- 2014-03-26 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The government of Ortega ready to dialogue with the Church
- 2014-03-20 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Dialogue is closer and closer: President Ortega has received the Bishops’ letter