AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The government of Ortega ready to dialogue with the Church
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) has announced that the government of Daniel Ortega has accepted the invitation to dialogue.
"This request received a positive response on Tuesday 24 March" says the note sent to Fides Agency by the CEN.
The Auxiliary Bishop of Managua and the Secretary General of CEN, His Exc. Mgr. Silvio José Báez, in a twitter to Fides stated that "in the dialogue with the government, the Church will not speak in her favor, but will be focused on the socio-economic welfare and political development of Nicaragua". Then the same Mgr. Báez warned: "There are no topics set for the dialogue. There is only the good will of the CEN to be an instrument of dialogue and communion".
Between the government of President Ortega and the Catholic Church there are good relations, but very distant, because the Bishops in the past criticized the authorities on the use of religious symbols in public events and for the alleged fraud in the 2007 elections (see Fides 16/07/2012). Since Archbishop Brenes was created Cardinal, President Ortega has, however, shown a particular interest in establishing dialogue with the Church (see Fides 12/03/2014), after seven years of failed attempts by the CEN. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/03/2014)
AMERICA/NICARAGUA – THE GOVERNMENT OF ORTEGA READY TO DIALOGUE WITH THE CHURCH
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished
- 2015-07-14 - Two children and a woman killed by mistake by the police; Mgr. Baez calls for justice
- 2015-06-30 - "We are losing the values and respect for life", warns Cardinal Brenes
- 2015-06-22 - Two years after the attack against the elderly, the case has not yet been solved
- 2015-06-15 - Still controversy over the transoceanic canal; Mgr. Baez "more transparency is needed"
- 2015-06-03 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Drought continues: the population without water and crops
- 2015-05-05 - "Informed citizenry is able to build a just society", says Msg. Baez
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness