AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Bishop on the sentences regarding the Muslim Brotherhood: the Church is always against the death penalty
Assiut (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation is complex. There is the hardness of a judgment that is not final, and we have to wait. In any case, the Church is against the death penalty. From a Christian conscience point of view, the death penalty can never be the way to solve problems in the right way". This is what the Coptic Catholic Bishop of Assiut, Kyrillos William said regarding the 529 death sentences issued against the supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood by the Court of Minya. The sentences were issued after only two hearings, and were submitted to the Grand Mufti of Egypt, who has the task to ratify or reject them. "Many", explains Anba Kyrillos to Fides Agency, "doubt that the Grand Mufti will confirm the sentences. Already on other occasions the judges who issued the ruling had distinguished themselves for having imposed the harshest penalties. But the death penalty cannot be the solution".
The prisoners are accused of various crimes, including murder. The conviction was described as "disproportionate and unacceptable" by one of the defense lawyers, Mohammed Zarie, head of a center for the protection of human rights in Cairo. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 25/03/2014)
- 2015-04-27 - Muslims collect money to build a church in the Egyptian province of Al Manufiyya
- 2015-04-22 - Imams and priests promote the "culture of encounter" preaching together in schools in Minya
- 2015-04-21 - The Islamic University of Al Azhar condemns the massacre of jihadist of Christian Ethiopians
- 2015-04-20 - Coptic Bishop Antonios Aziz Mina on Ethiopian Christians massacred: the martyrs are those in whom the great and consoling victory of Christ shines
- 2015-04-16 - The Coptic Patriarch will participate in the commemorations of the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, to be held in Yerevan
- 2015-04-01 - Laying of the foundation stone of the church dedicated to the "Martyrs of Libya"
- 2015-03-31 - The Coptic Orthodox Church invites President al-Sisi to Easter Mass
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope