AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Bishop on the sentences regarding the Muslim Brotherhood: the Church is always against the death penalty
Assiut (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation is complex. There is the hardness of a judgment that is not final, and we have to wait. In any case, the Church is against the death penalty. From a Christian conscience point of view, the death penalty can never be the way to solve problems in the right way". This is what the Coptic Catholic Bishop of Assiut, Kyrillos William said regarding the 529 death sentences issued against the supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood by the Court of Minya. The sentences were issued after only two hearings, and were submitted to the Grand Mufti of Egypt, who has the task to ratify or reject them. "Many", explains Anba Kyrillos to Fides Agency, "doubt that the Grand Mufti will confirm the sentences. Already on other occasions the judges who issued the ruling had distinguished themselves for having imposed the harshest penalties. But the death penalty cannot be the solution".
The prisoners are accused of various crimes, including murder. The conviction was described as "disproportionate and unacceptable" by one of the defense lawyers, Mohammed Zarie, head of a center for the protection of human rights in Cairo. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 25/03/2014)
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied
- 2015-04-29 - Reaffirmed the right of Christian workers to start work later on Sundays
- 2015-04-28 - Sinai jihadist groups threaten Copts for their support to President al-Sisi