AMERICA/UNITED STATES - A Catholic Guide for parishes with faithful of different languages and ethnic groups
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Bishops' Conference of the United States (USCCB) has created a guide to assist pastors of culturally diverse parishes. The pastoral aid, published in English and in Spanish, aims to respond to the new needs of the Catholic population of the United States, where the participation of members of other languages and ethnic groups have increased. According to the note sent to Fides, culturally diverse communities grew dramatically in the previous decade, going from 22 percent in 2000 to 33 percent in 2010. Today it is estimated that 6,300 parishes around the country serve ethnic, language and culturally diverse communities.
The Committee on Cultural Diversity developed the guide through consultation with pastors that have successfully achieved a high level of ecclesial integration and inclusion among their culturally diverse parishioners.
The Catholic Church in the United States has a large number of loyal Latin Americans and other groups who have arrived from the Asian continent. According to testimony sent to Fides, it is difficult to calculate the actual number , because many are undocumented and are afraid of being tracked down by the authorities and expelled, so they live the life of faith almost underground. Aware of this reality, the Church has repeatedly asked the authorities to solve the problem (see Fides 25/02/2014). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/03/2014)
- 2015-10-24 - Bishop says: “repatriation for minors is sometimes a death sentence
- 2015-10-23 - “We still have a humanitarian crisis on our hands”: testimony of El Paso Bishop
- 2015-09-07 - New health center for basic assistance and nutrition for women and children
- 2015-08-20 - Over 50 thousand Hispanics waiting for the Pope in Washington
- 2015-08-06 - Mgr. Farrell remembers Catholics the duty to welcome foreigners
- 2015-08-05 - Bishops praise Obama's plan to cutt carbon dioxide emissions
- 2015-07-29 - Local Catholic Church applauds order to release detained Central American families
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"