ASIA/INDIA - "A just peace! "Church's solidarity with the people of Syria
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - "Three years of conflict in Syria have literally devastated and destroyed your life and your dreams. More than 100,000 lives have been lost, thousands of maimed and wounded are dying of hunger, millions of people have had to flee the country. Our heart goes out to you, to the entire civilian population, in particular women, children and the elderly who are the most vulnerable victims of violence. In the midst of this blind violence, your hearts are yearning for peace and hope. We want to show you our solidarity and we pray sincerely": reads the heartfelt appeal by the "Justice, peace and development" Commission in the Catholic Bishops' Conference of India, and sent to Fides Agency. The text, signed by Fr. Charles Irudayam recalls Pope Francis’ exhortation of peace, during a prayer vigil for peace in Syria, on September 7, 2013. The Indian Church urges to "replace the language of death, which is violence, "with the language of love and life", which is spoken by Jesus Christ, the conqueror of sin and death. "His resurrection confirms our hope that life will triumph over death, peace and war", notes the appeal sent to Fides. Calling for "a just peace for Syria", the text concludes: "May all those who are responsible for the current situation, make choices of peace! May God, the author and the source of true peace, guide the hearts of leaders because the time has come to renounce violence and give peace a chance". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/03/2014)
- 2015-02-27 - New episodes of violence against Christian churches
- 2015-02-25 - Release of kidnapped priest: the Church thanks the Prime Minister
- 2015-02-24 - The government of India does not intend to pass any anti-conversion law
- 2015-02-20 - ASIA/INDIA – Local Church tells government: stop discrimination against Dalit Christians
- 2015-02-18 - Prime Minister promises protection for minorities, bishops call for “concrete action”
- 2015-02-12 - Blasphemy against the Christian faith
- 2015-02-10 - Elections in Delhi: nationalists collapse, for the Church it is "a new beginning"
- 2015-02-09 - Bishops of Latin rite: "We urgently need to respect the rule of law, peace and harmony"
- 2015-02-06 - Attacks on churches: Home Minister, Rajnath Singh, promises security to churches
- 2015-01-30 - Bishops to the government: "To support a secular India and respectful of the rights"