ASIA/INDIA - "A just peace! "Church's solidarity with the people of Syria
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - "Three years of conflict in Syria have literally devastated and destroyed your life and your dreams. More than 100,000 lives have been lost, thousands of maimed and wounded are dying of hunger, millions of people have had to flee the country. Our heart goes out to you, to the entire civilian population, in particular women, children and the elderly who are the most vulnerable victims of violence. In the midst of this blind violence, your hearts are yearning for peace and hope. We want to show you our solidarity and we pray sincerely": reads the heartfelt appeal by the "Justice, peace and development" Commission in the Catholic Bishops' Conference of India, and sent to Fides Agency. The text, signed by Fr. Charles Irudayam recalls Pope Francis’ exhortation of peace, during a prayer vigil for peace in Syria, on September 7, 2013. The Indian Church urges to "replace the language of death, which is violence, "with the language of love and life", which is spoken by Jesus Christ, the conqueror of sin and death. "His resurrection confirms our hope that life will triumph over death, peace and war", notes the appeal sent to Fides. Calling for "a just peace for Syria", the text concludes: "May all those who are responsible for the current situation, make choices of peace! May God, the author and the source of true peace, guide the hearts of leaders because the time has come to renounce violence and give peace a chance". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/03/2014)
- 2015-04-22 - Catholic schools are not "against Hindu culture"
- 2015-04-17 - Vandalizing acts against a Catholic church in Uttar Pradesh
- 2015-04-13 - Hindu extremist leader: "Sterilise Christians and Muslims in India"
- 2015-04-01 - Flood emergency in Kashmir
- 2015-03-23 - Catholics: "Close schools in sign of protest against the violence on Christians"
- 2015-03-20 - Cardinal Thottunkal: "India should be concerned about human rights, not just cows"
- 2015-03-17 - ASIA/INDIA – The Bishops: "Violence against nuns, a crime of which India should be ashamed"
- 2015-03-12 - The Delhi Police has launched a Facebook page to protect the safety of Christians
- 2015-03-11 - Forced mass sterilizations continue
- 2015-03-10 - Christians in march ask Hindu radicals to owe Mother Teresa an apology