ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Bishops: "Korea, rise up in splendor!", the Pope is coming
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - " Korea, rise up in splendor! Your light has come, the glory of the Lord shines upon you" (Is 60:1), with this quote of the prophet Isaiah, the Bishops of South Korea have welcomed with great joy, the announcement of the visit of Pope Francis in Korea. His Holiness Francis will make an Apostolic Trip to the Republic of Korea from 14 to 18 August 2014, on the occasion of the Sixth Asian Youth Day, to be held in the Diocese of Daejeon
and for the celebration of beatification of the 124 Korean martyrs.
"The Pope's visit is desired by many Asian churches", the Bishops said in a message signed by the President of the Episcopate, Mgr. Peter Kang Woo Sun, and sent to Fides Agency. "Pope Francis will visit the entire Asian continent. It will be a heartfelt exhortation to "seek peace on the Korean peninsula" and an "encouragement for the young Asians and for their deepest aspirations". The Bishops hope that "everyone prays for this event", especially to support the Church of the entire Asian continent, so it may be able "to proclaim the Good News of God's peace and shine the light and glory of Christ, who is the cornerstone".
The presence of Pope Francis in Korea and in Asia, the Prelates conclude, "is a great sign of hope, joy and peace". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 11/03/2014)
- 2015-09-26 - Prayers for peace in the Church closer to the demilitarized zone
- 2015-09-23 - Young people on a mission with a smartphone
- 2015-09-01 - Young friends of the environment, starting from small daily practices
- 2015-07-24 - ASIA/KOREA – Appointment of Auxiliary Bishop of Suwon
- 2015-06-23 - A new United Nations Office for Human Rights focused on North Korea, opens in Seoul
- 2015-06-19 - Prayer and fasting for peace and reconciliation in Korea
- 2015-04-10 - From the disaster in Sewol, a seed of peace and resurrection
- 2015-03-11 - Bishops: "Be a poor Church for the poor"
- 2014-11-12 - Catholic students: bring the message of Christ in schools and universities
- 2014-11-03 - The Church encourages the Small Christian communities to strengthen their faith and to proclaim the Gospel