ASIA/LEBANON-Maronite Church: to encourage organ donation
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - The Maronite Church is in favor of organ donation and called on the Lebanese medical staff to encourage the spread of this practice, calling at the same time to monitor abuses that may compromise its ethical value. This is what the Maronite Bishop Maroun Amar said during a conference held on Monday, March 10, organized by the Higher Institute for Religious Sciences at St. Joseph's University and the National Committee for Organ Donation and Transplantation, to discuss the ethics and practice of organ donation, as well as religious restrictions. Bishop Amar attended the Conference as representative of Patriarch Bechara Boutros Rai. According to the Lebanese press, father Edgard al-Haiby, the head of the Institute, said the conference was the first of several forthcoming events that will deal with organ donation in light of the teachings of the Catholic Church, other Churches and Islam. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 11/03/2014)
- 2014-07-28 - Patriarch Rai: The new President should not be linked to the two "blocks"
- 2014-07-10 - Patriarch Rai to Lebanese missionaries: the Arab world needs the Gospel
- 2014-07-07 - Patriarch Rai: the existence of Lebanon at risk
- 2014-06-20 - The Maronite Bishops: who boycots Parliament sessions to elect a new president places the Country at risk
- 2014-06-12 - The annual Synod of the Maronite Church has begun. Patriarch Rai: let us pray so that a new President is elected
- 2014-06-03 - Orthodox Patriarch Yohanna X announces the Conference of the Church of Antioch
- 2014-05-14 - Grand Mufti Qabbani proposes a new "pact" between Muslims and Christians in the Middle East
- 2014-05-12 - Patriarch Rai on the presidential elections: a power vacuum would erase the role of Christians
- 2014-04-11 - Neither Geagea, nor Aoun. For Patriarch Rai the new President must be a "figure of consensus"
- 2014-04-10 - The president of Caritas Lebanon: the international community has to open refugee camps in Syria