AFRICA/ZAMBIA - Support to give strength to the women of Chisitu
Chisitu (Agenzia Fides) - Malnourished children, raised by desperate women and at the end of their tether. Women who are abandoned, sick and jobless: this is what the Community Center in Chisitu, Zambia is committed to, supported by the Foundation ACRA-CCS. The women in the center receive first of all aid for their children. Thanks to an agreement with the local hospital, the Center also provides medicines and organizes courses regarding hygiene and basic sanitation. The Centre's strategy is to directly involve the mothers in order to give them strength and rebuild their self-esteem. The mothers cook, help in the garden and in the organization of activities. By learning how to take care of themselves and their children, they find the strength to react to illness and social isolation.
Since its founding, the Center has treated 642 children and children born to mothers with HIV/AIDS or orphaned. In addition, the NGO supports two other Community Centers, in Mchini and Chikowa. The Community Centers of ACRA-CCS in Zambia is one of four projects supported by The Race Against Hunger campaign, promoted to ensure the right to food security and malnutrition in 4 Countries of the African continent. These tend to the promotion of local plant species and the emancipation of women in Chad, the organization of school canteens in Mozambique, to give support to farmers' organizations in Senegal and nutrition centers in Zambia. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 10/03/2014)
- 2014-11-21 - "In 50 years, Zambia has made remarkable progress", says President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2014-10-30 - Churches’ appeal after the death of the President: "Let us join together in prayer during this time of mourning"
- 2014-10-29 - President Sata has died after a long illness
- 2014-10-23 - The Church's contribution to the growth of the nation after 50 years of independence
- 2014-10-13 - "We are greatly concerned about the well-being of the President" say civil society
- 2014-04-08 - Almost 40% of infant mortality rate is due to malaria
- 2014-03-10 - Support to give strength to the women of Chisitu
- 2014-02-21 - AFRICA/ZAMBIA – Let's fulfill the aspirations of those who fought for the independence of building a more just Country
- 2014-01-25 - Bishops: "Respect democracy"
- 2014-01-09 - After 50 years of independence a proper Constitution focused on popular sovereignty is needed