AMERICA/PERU - The Church denounces the alarming pollution of the Peruvian forest
Iquitos (Agenzia Fides) - The Human Rights Office of the Apostolic Vicariate of Iquitos (Peru), has published a "Report of Environmental Monitoring of the Marañón River and the Pacaya Samiria Reserve" which highlights the serious pollution in the area. Mgr. Miguel Olaortua Laspra, O.S.A., Apostolic Vicar of Iquitos, informs that the results show "alarming" levels of water pollution, which makes the water "unsuitable for human consumption".
The note sent to Fides Agency is accompanied by the Apostolic Vicar’s statement, who recalls: " Environment is everyone's responsibility". The text also reports that: "A total of 17 small towns have been inspected. The results are troubling, if not alarming, because the level of water pollution is not suitable for human consumption. Contaminants such as iron, aluminum, manganese, arsenic, chromium, total and faecal coliforms , mercury, zinc, lead ... were found in some drinking water systems and others in the rivers Samiria and Maranon. The same applies to the rivers Tigre and Corrientes, which although are not the subject of this report or study, suffer from a similar situation. We are working with the communities to offer support and advice on behalf of the Church.
This contaminated reality highlighted in the report seriously jeopardizes the health of our people". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/03/2014)
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries