AMERICA/PERU - The Church denounces the alarming pollution of the Peruvian forest
Iquitos (Agenzia Fides) - The Human Rights Office of the Apostolic Vicariate of Iquitos (Peru), has published a "Report of Environmental Monitoring of the Marañón River and the Pacaya Samiria Reserve" which highlights the serious pollution in the area. Mgr. Miguel Olaortua Laspra, O.S.A., Apostolic Vicar of Iquitos, informs that the results show "alarming" levels of water pollution, which makes the water "unsuitable for human consumption".
The note sent to Fides Agency is accompanied by the Apostolic Vicar’s statement, who recalls: " Environment is everyone's responsibility". The text also reports that: "A total of 17 small towns have been inspected. The results are troubling, if not alarming, because the level of water pollution is not suitable for human consumption. Contaminants such as iron, aluminum, manganese, arsenic, chromium, total and faecal coliforms , mercury, zinc, lead ... were found in some drinking water systems and others in the rivers Samiria and Maranon. The same applies to the rivers Tigre and Corrientes, which although are not the subject of this report or study, suffer from a similar situation. We are working with the communities to offer support and advice on behalf of the Church.
This contaminated reality highlighted in the report seriously jeopardizes the health of our people". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/03/2014)
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation
- 2014-11-15 - "Network for a Culture of meeting", also Cusco present at the XIII Meeting of RIIAL
- 2014-11-05 - The Bishops are always close to the 3 and a half million Peruvians away from home
- 2014-10-31 - Thousands of young people on pilgrimage instead of the "Feast of Hallowen"
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth
- 2014-09-23 - "Gold fever" increases human trafficking and sexual exploitation
- 2014-09-19 - The activist who fought for the Amazonian forest, against the deforestation of his land killed
- 2014-09-10 - “Young people without frontiers”: witnesses and proclaimers of the faith to the world of today