AMERICA/PERU - The Church denounces the alarming pollution of the Peruvian forest
Iquitos (Agenzia Fides) - The Human Rights Office of the Apostolic Vicariate of Iquitos (Peru), has published a "Report of Environmental Monitoring of the Marañón River and the Pacaya Samiria Reserve" which highlights the serious pollution in the area. Mgr. Miguel Olaortua Laspra, O.S.A., Apostolic Vicar of Iquitos, informs that the results show "alarming" levels of water pollution, which makes the water "unsuitable for human consumption".
The note sent to Fides Agency is accompanied by the Apostolic Vicar’s statement, who recalls: " Environment is everyone's responsibility". The text also reports that: "A total of 17 small towns have been inspected. The results are troubling, if not alarming, because the level of water pollution is not suitable for human consumption. Contaminants such as iron, aluminum, manganese, arsenic, chromium, total and faecal coliforms , mercury, zinc, lead ... were found in some drinking water systems and others in the rivers Samiria and Maranon. The same applies to the rivers Tigre and Corrientes, which although are not the subject of this report or study, suffer from a similar situation. We are working with the communities to offer support and advice on behalf of the Church.
This contaminated reality highlighted in the report seriously jeopardizes the health of our people". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/03/2014)
- 2014-08-18 - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas