AMERICA/PERU - The Church denounces the alarming pollution of the Peruvian forest
Iquitos (Agenzia Fides) - The Human Rights Office of the Apostolic Vicariate of Iquitos (Peru), has published a "Report of Environmental Monitoring of the Marañón River and the Pacaya Samiria Reserve" which highlights the serious pollution in the area. Mgr. Miguel Olaortua Laspra, O.S.A., Apostolic Vicar of Iquitos, informs that the results show "alarming" levels of water pollution, which makes the water "unsuitable for human consumption".
The note sent to Fides Agency is accompanied by the Apostolic Vicar’s statement, who recalls: " Environment is everyone's responsibility". The text also reports that: "A total of 17 small towns have been inspected. The results are troubling, if not alarming, because the level of water pollution is not suitable for human consumption. Contaminants such as iron, aluminum, manganese, arsenic, chromium, total and faecal coliforms , mercury, zinc, lead ... were found in some drinking water systems and others in the rivers Samiria and Maranon. The same applies to the rivers Tigre and Corrientes, which although are not the subject of this report or study, suffer from a similar situation. We are working with the communities to offer support and advice on behalf of the Church.
This contaminated reality highlighted in the report seriously jeopardizes the health of our people". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/03/2014)
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/PERU – 100 years of mission among indigenous women in the Amazon
- 2015-07-23 - Peru and Brazil together to eradicate child labour in Amazonia
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers