AMERICA/PERU - The Church denounces the alarming pollution of the Peruvian forest
Iquitos (Agenzia Fides) - The Human Rights Office of the Apostolic Vicariate of Iquitos (Peru), has published a "Report of Environmental Monitoring of the Marañón River and the Pacaya Samiria Reserve" which highlights the serious pollution in the area. Mgr. Miguel Olaortua Laspra, O.S.A., Apostolic Vicar of Iquitos, informs that the results show "alarming" levels of water pollution, which makes the water "unsuitable for human consumption".
The note sent to Fides Agency is accompanied by the Apostolic Vicar’s statement, who recalls: " Environment is everyone's responsibility". The text also reports that: "A total of 17 small towns have been inspected. The results are troubling, if not alarming, because the level of water pollution is not suitable for human consumption. Contaminants such as iron, aluminum, manganese, arsenic, chromium, total and faecal coliforms , mercury, zinc, lead ... were found in some drinking water systems and others in the rivers Samiria and Maranon. The same applies to the rivers Tigre and Corrientes, which although are not the subject of this report or study, suffer from a similar situation. We are working with the communities to offer support and advice on behalf of the Church.
This contaminated reality highlighted in the report seriously jeopardizes the health of our people". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/03/2014)
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking