AMERICA/HAITI - Political dialogue resumes, with the mediation of Cardinal Langlois
Port au Prince (Agenzia Fides ) - "The inter-Haitian dialogue" between the president and parliament will resume shortly, with the return to the country of Cardinal Chibly Langlois: this was reported to Fides by Mgr. Patrick Aris, a spokesman for the Episcopal Conference of Haiti (CEH).
Dialogue between the political forces in Haiti started on 24 January and concluded on 12 February, but the signing of the agreement fell through because the government had published the incomplete list of judges to integrate the "Court of Auditors" (see Fides 18/02/2014) in the official newspaper "Le Moniteur"
Two years ago, elections were supposed to be held in Haiti, but the disputes over the formation of the electoral court and the law that regulates the conduct of elections, postponed the consultation.
To resolve this protracted crisis in the country - which is still suffering the consequences of the devastating earthquake - the Catholic Church has been invited to mediate .
Newly-elected Cardinal Chibly Langlois, Archbishop of Les Cayes, in an interview with Fides said a few days ago: "There is a very important thing to be noted in the social field: the Church accompanies political actors to be able to build dialogue between all parties and solve the problems of our society. We must share the responsibility of resolving the political situation and the crisis that our country is experiencing, and this can only be achieved through dialogue. The Bishops' Conference has offered to be a mediator in this crisis. What is missing is the signature of the agreement in order to end the crisis. In this, the Church has therefore a very well-defined social role"(see Fides 25/02/2014). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2014)
- 2014-07-08 - The chikungunya virus attacks the poor, even the Church is committed to keeping the disease under control
- 2014-06-04 - Project "House built, hope fulfilled – Vita Ville" for many families, victims of the earthquake
- 2014-05-28 - Economic support for Haitian mothers who live in extreme poverty
- 2014-05-16 - Three years of Martelly’s presidency, among acclaim and requests for resignation
- 2014-05-16 - A center to transform cassava into flour and cope with food insecurity
- 2014-05-08 - Brotherhood and solidarity respond to those who promote hatred between Haitians and Dominicans
- 2014-04-29 - International organizations committed to solving the new political crisis
- 2014-03-17 - Elections on October 26, the President thanks the Church for the mediation
- 2014-03-14 - Dialogue to conclude the agreement in the country has started again
- 2014-03-06 - Political dialogue resumes, with the mediation of Cardinal Langlois