AMERICA/HAITI - Political dialogue resumes, with the mediation of Cardinal Langlois
Port au Prince (Agenzia Fides ) - "The inter-Haitian dialogue" between the president and parliament will resume shortly, with the return to the country of Cardinal Chibly Langlois: this was reported to Fides by Mgr. Patrick Aris, a spokesman for the Episcopal Conference of Haiti (CEH).
Dialogue between the political forces in Haiti started on 24 January and concluded on 12 February, but the signing of the agreement fell through because the government had published the incomplete list of judges to integrate the "Court of Auditors" (see Fides 18/02/2014) in the official newspaper "Le Moniteur"
Two years ago, elections were supposed to be held in Haiti, but the disputes over the formation of the electoral court and the law that regulates the conduct of elections, postponed the consultation.
To resolve this protracted crisis in the country - which is still suffering the consequences of the devastating earthquake - the Catholic Church has been invited to mediate .
Newly-elected Cardinal Chibly Langlois, Archbishop of Les Cayes, in an interview with Fides said a few days ago: "There is a very important thing to be noted in the social field: the Church accompanies political actors to be able to build dialogue between all parties and solve the problems of our society. We must share the responsibility of resolving the political situation and the crisis that our country is experiencing, and this can only be achieved through dialogue. The Bishops' Conference has offered to be a mediator in this crisis. What is missing is the signature of the agreement in order to end the crisis. In this, the Church has therefore a very well-defined social role"(see Fides 25/02/2014). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2014)
- 2015-03-20 - Three murders a day: unprecedented wave of aggression, crimes and violence
- 2015-03-14 - Instability and violence against the religious
- 2015-03-12 - Gang attacks against religious institutes continue
- 2015-01-19 - New cabinet of Haiti to be sworn in today
- 2015-01-14 - AMERICA/HAITI – Parliament dissolved, demonstrations against President increase
- 2015-01-12 - Agreement between the President and opposition: elections in 2015
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/HAITI – 5 years after the earthquake the Catholic Church is helping Haiti to recover
- 2014-12-09 - Foyer Bethlehem: “giving persons with disabilities what nature and human indifference have denied them”
- 2014-12-01 - A Commission to save the country from the crisis
- 2014-11-27 - The Church ready to intervene to ensure the country's political future