AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Coptic politician Hala Shukrallah, the first woman elected to lead a Party in Egypt, has expressed "concern" with regards to the possibility that a return to power of the military in the Country could jeopardize a genuinely authentic democratic system.
Shukrallah, elected Presedent of the liberal Al-Dustour Party (founded by the Nobel Peace laureate Mohamed ElBaradei) in February, interviewed by the Egyptian media about the likely candidate for the presidential election of General Abdel Fattah al- Sisi, confessed her concern regarding the "incursion of the military in a democratic election". The Coptic political leader said she was concerned even before the operations of repression that caused nearly 1,500 deaths in the last eight months, especially in the ranks of Islamist groups, while recognizing the impossibility of a reconciliation between the Muslim Brotherhood and the Egyptian society. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2014)
AFRICA/EGYPT – COPTIC POLITICIAN SHUKRALLAH: WHAT WORRIES ME IS THE POSSIBLE RETURN OF THE MILITARY TO POWER
- 2015-04-27 - Muslims collect money to build a church in the Egyptian province of Al Manufiyya
- 2015-04-22 - Imams and priests promote the "culture of encounter" preaching together in schools in Minya
- 2015-04-21 - The Islamic University of Al Azhar condemns the massacre of jihadist of Christian Ethiopians
- 2015-04-20 - Coptic Bishop Antonios Aziz Mina on Ethiopian Christians massacred: the martyrs are those in whom the great and consoling victory of Christ shines
- 2015-04-16 - The Coptic Patriarch will participate in the commemorations of the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, to be held in Yerevan
- 2015-04-01 - Laying of the foundation stone of the church dedicated to the "Martyrs of Libya"
- 2015-03-31 - The Coptic Orthodox Church invites President al-Sisi to Easter Mass
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope