AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Coptic politician Hala Shukrallah, the first woman elected to lead a Party in Egypt, has expressed "concern" with regards to the possibility that a return to power of the military in the Country could jeopardize a genuinely authentic democratic system.
Shukrallah, elected Presedent of the liberal Al-Dustour Party (founded by the Nobel Peace laureate Mohamed ElBaradei) in February, interviewed by the Egyptian media about the likely candidate for the presidential election of General Abdel Fattah al- Sisi, confessed her concern regarding the "incursion of the military in a democratic election". The Coptic political leader said she was concerned even before the operations of repression that caused nearly 1,500 deaths in the last eight months, especially in the ranks of Islamist groups, while recognizing the impossibility of a reconciliation between the Muslim Brotherhood and the Egyptian society. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2014)
AFRICA/EGYPT – COPTIC POLITICIAN SHUKRALLAH: WHAT WORRIES ME IS THE POSSIBLE RETURN OF THE MILITARY TO POWER
- 2015-05-28 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic boys released, falsely accused of an "insulting" video towards Islam
- 2015-05-26 - The Council of Christian Churches celebrate the second anniversary of its founding
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied