AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Coptic politician Hala Shukrallah, the first woman elected to lead a Party in Egypt, has expressed "concern" with regards to the possibility that a return to power of the military in the Country could jeopardize a genuinely authentic democratic system.
Shukrallah, elected Presedent of the liberal Al-Dustour Party (founded by the Nobel Peace laureate Mohamed ElBaradei) in February, interviewed by the Egyptian media about the likely candidate for the presidential election of General Abdel Fattah al- Sisi, confessed her concern regarding the "incursion of the military in a democratic election". The Coptic political leader said she was concerned even before the operations of repression that caused nearly 1,500 deaths in the last eight months, especially in the ranks of Islamist groups, while recognizing the impossibility of a reconciliation between the Muslim Brotherhood and the Egyptian society. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2014)
AFRICA/EGYPT – COPTIC POLITICIAN SHUKRALLAH: WHAT WORRIES ME IS THE POSSIBLE RETURN OF THE MILITARY TO POWER
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General
- 2015-06-26 - Christians organize the "banquet of unity" for Muslims on the occasion of Ramadan
- 2015-06-25 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Gospel of Barnabas" is a fake
- 2015-06-24 - The campaign to "clean up" the bookshops and libraries of mosques of extremist propaganda continues
- 2015-06-22 - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros receives a delegation of Chinese People
- 2015-06-15 - The Egyptian Ambassador to the Holy See: Al Sisi has invited Pope Francis to Egypt
- 2015-05-28 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic boys released, falsely accused of an "insulting" video towards Islam