AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Coptic politician Hala Shukrallah, the first woman elected to lead a Party in Egypt, has expressed "concern" with regards to the possibility that a return to power of the military in the Country could jeopardize a genuinely authentic democratic system.
Shukrallah, elected Presedent of the liberal Al-Dustour Party (founded by the Nobel Peace laureate Mohamed ElBaradei) in February, interviewed by the Egyptian media about the likely candidate for the presidential election of General Abdel Fattah al- Sisi, confessed her concern regarding the "incursion of the military in a democratic election". The Coptic political leader said she was concerned even before the operations of repression that caused nearly 1,500 deaths in the last eight months, especially in the ranks of Islamist groups, while recognizing the impossibility of a reconciliation between the Muslim Brotherhood and the Egyptian society. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2014)
AFRICA/EGYPT – COPTIC POLITICIAN SHUKRALLAH: WHAT WORRIES ME IS THE POSSIBLE RETURN OF THE MILITARY TO POWER
- 2015-01-23 - Coptic Associations are working on a document on the rights of citizenship
- 2015-01-20 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the Church does not interfere in elections
- 2015-01-17 - With Patriarch Mathias’ visit, evidence of "ecclesial mediation" on the controversial Ethiopian dam
- 2015-01-16 - The Assembly of Catholic Bishops discusses support for Christian schools
- 2015-01-15 - The Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the cartoons on Muhammad are offensive
- 2015-01-09 - Salafist leader condemns the violence against Copts in Libya
- 2015-01-07 - President al-Sisi attends Coptic Christmas mass at Cairo Abbasiya Cathedral
- 2015-01-05 - An 'educational manual' on the internet for jihadist mothers
- 2015-01-05 - Copts abducted in Libya. For Islamists they are "legitimate targets"
- 2014-12-29 - Security measures strengthened for the Coptic Christmas celebrations