AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops on the crisis in Ukraine: "We raise our voice in defense of religious liberty"
Louisville (Agenzia Fides) - On March 4, the Archbishop of Louisville, Kentucky (USA), His Exc. Mgr. Joseph Edward Kurtz, President of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the United States, issued a statement on Ukraine, in which he expresses concern about "the tensions and troubling events" which continue to unfold in the region.
"The bishops of the United States, together with tens of millions of U.S. Catholics of Eastern European descent, join Pope Francis in solidarity and prayers for the people of Ukraine for an end to the current tensions and troubling events which continue to unfold there". The Archbishop still repeats the call of Pope Francis: we all have to "endeavor to overcome misunderstandings and build together the future of the nation".
The statement continues: "The heroic witness of Ukrainian Greek and Latin Catholic leaders, who stand firm for human rights and democracy, gives us hope that peaceful means might prevail to help rebuild civil society.
Over the centuries, Catholics in Ukraine have been severely persecuted, and Catholicism even outlawed. For this reason, we raise our voice in defense of religious liberty in Ukraine, a liberty further threatened by the invasive actions occurring in the country".
On behalf of the Bishops, the Archbishop concludes by asking the U.S. Catholic communities, gathered for the beginning of Lent, "to pray for a peaceful resolution of this crisis, one that secures the just and fundamental human rights". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/03/2014)
- 2015-10-24 - Bishop says: “repatriation for minors is sometimes a death sentence
- 2015-10-23 - “We still have a humanitarian crisis on our hands”: testimony of El Paso Bishop
- 2015-09-07 - New health center for basic assistance and nutrition for women and children
- 2015-08-20 - Over 50 thousand Hispanics waiting for the Pope in Washington
- 2015-08-06 - Mgr. Farrell remembers Catholics the duty to welcome foreigners
- 2015-08-05 - Bishops praise Obama's plan to cutt carbon dioxide emissions
- 2015-07-29 - Local Catholic Church applauds order to release detained Central American families
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"