AFRICA/EGYPT – New rules for election of Orthodox Coptic Pope examined by civil authorities
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) – The Synod of Orthodox Coptic Bishops has approved new regulations for the election of a Patriarch. The rules are now being examined by the Presidency of the Arab Republic of Egypt. Fides was told this by Catholic Coptic Bishop of Minya, Bishop Boutros Fahim Awad Hanna. “The Orthodox Coptic bishops gathered from 17 to 19 February for a meeting presided by Patriarch Tawadros II” says Bishop Boutros “approved new rules for the election of the Head of the Orthodox Coptic Church. The text has not yet been made public, but it is known that some articles have been revised others have been removed since they no longer reflected the present situation of the Orthodox Coptic Church. Among other things, the electoral body will include representatives of the Orthodox Coptic community in the diaspora, today more than two million faithful”.
After being approved by the Synod the new regulation must be ratified by the President of Egypt. “The election of the Patriarch” Bishop Hanna told Fides “is part of Orthodox Coptic community law ratified by the Constitution , which guarantees Christians the right to elect the Leading members of the respective church communities. The procedure therefore is guaranteed by civil law, and for this reason must be ratified by the offices of the Presidency” (GV) (Agenzia Fides 25/2/2014)
AFRICA/EGYPT – NEW RULES FOR ELECTION OF ORTHODOX COPTIC POPE EXAMINED BY CIVIL AUTHORITIES
- 2014-12-19 - Islamist threats against the Christmas celebration; Muslim leaders: we defend the churches together with Christians
- 2014-12-15 - Al Azhar: those who commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam cannot be labelled "infidel"
- 2014-12-13 - The Coptic Orthodox Church: "Employment Day" for young job seekers
- 2014-12-10 - The government is studying the draft electoral law, 24 seats reserved for Christians
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – In Minya Governatorate in 4 years some 120 million Egyptian pounds paid in ransom for kidnapped Christians
- 2014-12-04 - For Copt Catholic Bishop Antonios Mina the anti-Islamist terrorism Conference at al-Azhar was “epochal”
- 2014-12-03 - Conference on Islam and Terrorism at Al Azhar. Imam al- Tayyeb: “takfirist” extremism perverts the Islamic religion
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West