AFRICA/LYBIA - “These extremists are shedding innocent blood to get more visibility” says Archbishop Martinelli
Bengasi (Agenzia Fides) - “It is not clear what these extremists really want. They would appear to be shedding the blood of innocent victims to get more visibility. Orthodox Coptic Christians have been their target for some time, especially in Cyrenaica” Fides was told by Archbishop Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Vicar Apostolic of Tripoli, in Libya, commenting the killing of 7 Orthodox Coptic Christian Egyptian workers in Bengasi, in Cyrenaica. According to local news agencies, on Sunday 23 February, the 7 Egyptians were abducted from their dwellings by armed men. The corpses were found the following day in an outlying area of the city. The men died of gun-wounds to the chest and the head.
“We have no more information, only what was said in the newspapers. All I can say is that the Vicar Apostolic of Bengasi has been asked to collect the bodies and hand them over to the Orthodox Coptic Christian community” said Archbishop Martinelli.
The Vicar Apostolic of Tripoli excludes any political or economic motives for the massacre. “This is the work of extremists anxious to gain more visibility”. “In this situation of uncertainty and insecurity, we are in the hands of God”, Archbishop Martinelli concluded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/2/2014)
- 2015-11-20 - The Coptic Orthodox Church inaugurates a TV channel for children
- 2015-11-19 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: participate in the elections and give your support to honest and competent candidates
- 2015-11-13 - The Imam of al-Azhar condemns the attack on a Coptic evangelical church
- 2015-11-12 - The Coptic Church: no to unauthorized collection of money for the flooded monasteries
- 2015-11-07 - Historical Coptic monasteries damaged by floods
- 2015-11-06 - The Middle East Council of Churches: unify the date for the Easter celebrations
- 2015-10-22 - AFRICA/EGYPT –Election: good results for Coptic candidates, Salafi party crash
- 2015-10-19 - Elections: the high turnout of Christians
- 2015-10-09 - Coptic Organizations call on President al-Sisi to reopen the investigation into the massacre of Maspero
- 2015-10-06 - Sectarian clashes in Samalut, the "city of martyrs": ten Copts wounded