AFRICA/LYBIA - “These extremists are shedding innocent blood to get more visibility” says Archbishop Martinelli
Bengasi (Agenzia Fides) - “It is not clear what these extremists really want. They would appear to be shedding the blood of innocent victims to get more visibility. Orthodox Coptic Christians have been their target for some time, especially in Cyrenaica” Fides was told by Archbishop Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Vicar Apostolic of Tripoli, in Libya, commenting the killing of 7 Orthodox Coptic Christian Egyptian workers in Bengasi, in Cyrenaica. According to local news agencies, on Sunday 23 February, the 7 Egyptians were abducted from their dwellings by armed men. The corpses were found the following day in an outlying area of the city. The men died of gun-wounds to the chest and the head.
“We have no more information, only what was said in the newspapers. All I can say is that the Vicar Apostolic of Bengasi has been asked to collect the bodies and hand them over to the Orthodox Coptic Christian community” said Archbishop Martinelli.
The Vicar Apostolic of Tripoli excludes any political or economic motives for the massacre. “This is the work of extremists anxious to gain more visibility”. “In this situation of uncertainty and insecurity, we are in the hands of God”, Archbishop Martinelli concluded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/2/2014)
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied
- 2015-04-29 - Reaffirmed the right of Christian workers to start work later on Sundays
- 2015-04-28 - Sinai jihadist groups threaten Copts for their support to President al-Sisi