ASIA/HOLY LAND - The Latin Patriarchate schools relaunch their educational mission
Bethlehem (Agenzia Fides) - The Latin Patriarchate schools of Jerusalem in Palestine and Israel met to make plans for the future regarding the educational and social mission that they are called upon to carry out in a human context characterized by strong processes of change.
The Patriarchate organized another monthly workshop and this was an opportunity to define roles and revise methods of the educational experience linked to the Patriachate. The meeting was held at the Carmel of Bethlehem, on 14 and 15 February 2014. Two days of intense work and discussion among the principles were led by Fr. Faysal Hijazen, General Director of the Patriarchate schools in Israel and Palestine.
The reflection and discussion among the principles – say sources of the Latin Patriarchate - had the intent to rediscover and renew the vocation and the goals in the present situation that animate the patriarchal system of schools since their creation, more than 160 years ago. While the morals and mission remained the same, the principles were told that they must update their vision in order to fit to the student today. A subcommittee was organized in order to weigh the value of different suggestions on how to prepare the schools for next year and have a clear method for instituting any future changes. Principals then heard talks from school counselors about their experiences at the schools with the children. The counselors and principals recommitted to having open lines of communication in order to create a better educational environment through effective counseling. The focus of this talk was on the younger students, and how to take into account the daily life of the student, both at home and at school, to give a better education. Many topics were brought up and discussed among the principals. Among these topics, the revamping of the English program was one of the most popular. For the next school year all schools will revise their current English program in order to fit the new text book. Principals discussed how best to help the English teachers and students during this transition.
Bishop William Shomali, Patriarchal Vicar of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, during his homily encouraged the principals and teachers to practice humility and "to make decisions according to the example of Jesus Christ", the supreme model for all teachers. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 20/02/2014)
- 2015-05-25 - The Society of St. Yves is organizing a study day on the confiscation of land in the West Bank
- 2015-05-16 - Pax Christi International recalls the "Nakba" in Bethlehem
- 2015-05-05 - Christians of the Holy Land are preparing for the canonization of Sister Mariam Bawardi and Sister Marie Alphonsine Ghattas
- 2015-04-14 - Patriarch Kirill: The Russian Orthodox Church supports the creation of the Palestinian State
- 2015-04-10 - In Jordan and Palestine Catholics and Orthodox celebrate Easter according to the Julian Calendar
- 2015-04-08 - Caritas Jerusalem will run a "mobile clinic" for the inhabitants of the Gaza Strip
- 2015-03-23 - Palestinian President invited to the canonization on 17 May
- 2015-03-12 - The Catholic Bishops: necessity to rebuild Gaza, support schools, help refugees and immigrants
- 2015-03-09 - Liturgy at the Holy Sepulchre to commemorate the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-02-26 - Arson attack against the Orthodox Theological Seminary in Jerusalem