AMERICA/UNITED STATES - American Indians: neglected and marginalized, but have great capacities
Rosebud (Agenzia Fides) - "Usually, the populations of American Indians are neglected. Here we have a population that in the majority is uneducated and suffers from addictions to alcohol, drugs and depression. But it has a lot to give if we take care and help them to believe in their ability of success". This is what Fr. John Hatcher, a Jesuit said, who for more than 40 years has dedicated himself to the service of the Indian people of America in South Dakota. According to information sent to Fides by the General Curia of the Jesuits, in 1972 Fr. John arrived in Rosebud Indian Reservation with the intention to stay for six weeks: today, after more than 40 years, he is still there and has no intention to leave.
(SL) (Agenzia Fides 13/02/2014)
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops on the crisis in Ukraine: "We raise our voice in defense of religious liberty"
- 2014-02-25 AMERICA/ UNITED STATES – The Church should never forget her duty to accompany immigrants towards integration
- 2014-02-13 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - American Indians: neglected and marginalized, but have great capacities
- 2014-01-29 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
- 2014-01-15 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
- 2014-01-14 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "They take care of our children and build our homes, but they have no rights": for a more humane approach towards immigrants
- 2014-01-13 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - The Bishops: excessive military engagement in the fight against drugs in Mexico
- 2013-10-16 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water
- 2013-10-14 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Education cannot wait": due to conflicts about 29 million children lack education
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Millions of Americans struggle to live": Bishops urgent request to the government