AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Peace negotiations with other groups: the Church's commitment
Cali (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Darío de Jesús Monsalve Mejía, Archbishop of Cali, told the press that in these past days, during preliminary peace talks that are taking place in Cuba, there appeared to be very important elements to consider. The note sent to Fides Agency recalls that Mgr. Darío de Jesús Monsalve Mejía participated as a representative of the Colombian Episcopal Conference, in different dialogues for the release of those kidnapped by the ELN guerrilla group (National Liberation Army), and has always expressed himself positively on the peace negotiations in progress: "I have heard that there is availability on behalf of the parties. President Santos came to talk to us during the Assembly of the Bishops' Conference, and reiterated his belief in this dialogue".
According to Mgr. Monsalve, the ELN has already defined some points for a possible agenda for peace talks, "especially in the mining, energy and the environment sector". Finally he asked the Colombians to move away from violence, to open some space for reconciliation and to accept these humanitarian agreements with the FARC and the ELN. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2014)
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
- 2014-07-03 - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country
- 2014-06-28 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – IDPs are increasing: the Church appeals to the authorities to resolve the crisis
- 2014-06-27 - The Church with regards to peace talks: Consider the pain of the victims
- 2014-06-20 - "The Church has helped me to find a land": in Colombia 5.5 million internally displaced persons
- 2014-06-14 - off in Colombia, the Church calls for dialogue and mutual respect
- 2014-06-09 - "The reality of Buenaventura is still critical" denounces Mgr. Epalza