AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Peace negotiations with other groups: the Church's commitment
Cali (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Darío de Jesús Monsalve Mejía, Archbishop of Cali, told the press that in these past days, during preliminary peace talks that are taking place in Cuba, there appeared to be very important elements to consider. The note sent to Fides Agency recalls that Mgr. Darío de Jesús Monsalve Mejía participated as a representative of the Colombian Episcopal Conference, in different dialogues for the release of those kidnapped by the ELN guerrilla group (National Liberation Army), and has always expressed himself positively on the peace negotiations in progress: "I have heard that there is availability on behalf of the parties. President Santos came to talk to us during the Assembly of the Bishops' Conference, and reiterated his belief in this dialogue".
According to Mgr. Monsalve, the ELN has already defined some points for a possible agenda for peace talks, "especially in the mining, energy and the environment sector". Finally he asked the Colombians to move away from violence, to open some space for reconciliation and to accept these humanitarian agreements with the FARC and the ELN. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2014)
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue
- 2015-03-23 - A priest killed after a violent attempted robbery
- 2015-03-18 - Elections: the Archbishop of Medellin urges the socio-political formation of the community
- 2015-03-10 - "Weapons, from security to threat for the family, must be eliminated" asks the Archbishop of Medellin
- 2015-03-04 - Meeting of Bishops Emeritus
- 2015-03-02 - Testimony of Mgr. Vidal: "Promises arrive in Cúcuta, never decisions"
- 2015-02-21 - Lent: multimedia “On the way to Easter”
- 2015-02-10 - The proposal of the FARC divides public opinion
- 2015-01-29 - Nearly 50 000 children victims of homicide because of armed conflict
- 2015-01-26 - We need leaders who are committed and not "deaf and dumb authorities" says Mgr. Epalza