AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Peace negotiations with other groups: the Church's commitment
Cali (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Darío de Jesús Monsalve Mejía, Archbishop of Cali, told the press that in these past days, during preliminary peace talks that are taking place in Cuba, there appeared to be very important elements to consider. The note sent to Fides Agency recalls that Mgr. Darío de Jesús Monsalve Mejía participated as a representative of the Colombian Episcopal Conference, in different dialogues for the release of those kidnapped by the ELN guerrilla group (National Liberation Army), and has always expressed himself positively on the peace negotiations in progress: "I have heard that there is availability on behalf of the parties. President Santos came to talk to us during the Assembly of the Bishops' Conference, and reiterated his belief in this dialogue".
According to Mgr. Monsalve, the ELN has already defined some points for a possible agenda for peace talks, "especially in the mining, energy and the environment sector". Finally he asked the Colombians to move away from violence, to open some space for reconciliation and to accept these humanitarian agreements with the FARC and the ELN. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2014)
- 2015-08-20 - Pope Francis: a delegate of the Holy See in the peace process
- 2015-08-13 - Consolidating REDPAM Catholic Pan-Amazon church network
- 2015-08-12 - “Let the people speak about mining activity”, Bishops’ statement
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC
- 2015-07-30 - Updated Spanish version of the New Testament
- 2015-07-16 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Priest murdered in the sacristy as he was about to celebrate mass
- 2015-07-13 - Once the peace agreement is signed, the real challenge of the government will be how to handle the situation
- 2015-07-09 - "The peace process is alive", said Mgr. Castro Quiroga; letter of the religious leaders
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"