AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Peace negotiations with other groups: the Church's commitment
Cali (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Darío de Jesús Monsalve Mejía, Archbishop of Cali, told the press that in these past days, during preliminary peace talks that are taking place in Cuba, there appeared to be very important elements to consider. The note sent to Fides Agency recalls that Mgr. Darío de Jesús Monsalve Mejía participated as a representative of the Colombian Episcopal Conference, in different dialogues for the release of those kidnapped by the ELN guerrilla group (National Liberation Army), and has always expressed himself positively on the peace negotiations in progress: "I have heard that there is availability on behalf of the parties. President Santos came to talk to us during the Assembly of the Bishops' Conference, and reiterated his belief in this dialogue".
According to Mgr. Monsalve, the ELN has already defined some points for a possible agenda for peace talks, "especially in the mining, energy and the environment sector". Finally he asked the Colombians to move away from violence, to open some space for reconciliation and to accept these humanitarian agreements with the FARC and the ELN. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2014)
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace
- 2014-12-01 - Children are half of the victims of landmines and prohibited explosive devices
- 2014-11-29 - Observatory for Reconciliation and Peace is created
- 2014-11-27 - Hunger and chronic malnutrition cause the death of a child every 33 hours
- 2014-11-26 - Sexual violence on women: a forgotten medical emergency
- 2014-11-26 - Peace talks in Cuba must continue
- 2014-11-21 - The request to continue peace talks: "Do not destroy the hope of Colombians"