AFRICA/UGANDA – Catholic Church launches Uganda Martyrs’ campaign
Kampala (Agenzia Fides) - His Exc. Mgr. Cyprian Kizito Lwanga, Archbishop of Kampala, has launched the campaign dubbed "Kikungo" started at the Holy Family Catholic Parish in Namayumba. The campaign will climax on October 18, when the Catholic Church will mark the Golden Jubilee of the Uganda Martyrs’, a group of twenty-two servants, pages and servants of the king of Buganda (today's Uganda), converted to Catholicism by the Missionaries of Africa (White Fathers), who were killed because Christians under the reign of Mwanga II (1884-1903) between November 15, 1885 and January 27, 1887.
"The main issue of this campaign - said the Archbishop - is to explain to the faithful who are the Uganda Martyrs, to know the problems people are facing starting from parishes and communities, to meet their leaders including the Archbishop, and to talk to them and encourage them".
The Archbishop was accompanied by a former "withchcraft practitioner", who turned Catholic, and explained some of the tricks used by those who pass themselves off as people with "supernatural powers" in order to deceive people to get money and favors.
"People who turn to withchdoctors lose their money and then complain about being poor instead of using such money to improve their living conditions", said the Archbishop. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/02/2014)
AFRICA/UGANDA – CATHOLIC CHURCH LAUNCHES UGANDA MARTYRS’ CAMPAIGN
- 2015-06-10 - Fleeing insecurity and epidemics, Burundians pour into Uganda
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/UGANDA – The Catholic Church in Uganda has been fighting AIDS since 1989
- 2014-11-14 - Domestic violence at the center of reflection for Advent
- 2014-07-11 - Over 200 religious leaders in Africa discuss Sustainable Development and the Post 2015 Development Agenda
- 2014-07-08 - Dozens killed in clashes in the oil region
- 2014-03-07 - AFRICA/UGANDA – The "miraculous necklaces" made from recycled paper
- 2014-02-07 - AFRICA/UGANDA – Catholic Church launches Uganda Martyrs’ campaign
- 2013-11-27 - Sister Nyirumbe, a Ugandan educator who empowers women and a girls who survived brutality at the hands of the LRA, will be recognized with an Honorary doctorate
- 2013-09-19 - The plight of child soldiers of the Lord's Resistance Army
- 2013-09-18 - New intervention to fight AIDS in the region of Karamoja