AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church concerned about the influenza that kills
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - A delegation of Mexican Bishops, gathered at the headquarters of the Episcopal Conference, contacted the Ministry of Health in order to assess whether churches have to take appropriate measures to prevent the spread of influenza type AH1N1 that is spreading in the country. According to official data of the Mexican Ministry of Health, since January 1, 3028 cases have been registered, of which 2,572 confirmed as AH1N1, and 316 deaths. This virus season, according to the report, causes the most severe cases in adults between 35 and 55 years of age, particularly in the chronically ill and obese .
The note sent to Fides refers to the possibility of applying the rules already adopted in the diocese during the first outbreak of influenza AH1N1 in 2009 (see Fides 27/04/2009; 04/05/2009; 08/05/2009).
The Secretary-General of the Mexican Episcopal Conference (CEM ), the Auxiliary Bishop of Puebla, His Exc. Mgr. Eugenio Lira, has been designated as one of the leaders in charge of maintaining contact with federal authorities in this regard, and to be informed about specific measures taken by each Bishop in his own religious jurisdiction. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/02/2014)
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"