AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church concerned about the influenza that kills
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - A delegation of Mexican Bishops, gathered at the headquarters of the Episcopal Conference, contacted the Ministry of Health in order to assess whether churches have to take appropriate measures to prevent the spread of influenza type AH1N1 that is spreading in the country. According to official data of the Mexican Ministry of Health, since January 1, 3028 cases have been registered, of which 2,572 confirmed as AH1N1, and 316 deaths. This virus season, according to the report, causes the most severe cases in adults between 35 and 55 years of age, particularly in the chronically ill and obese .
The note sent to Fides refers to the possibility of applying the rules already adopted in the diocese during the first outbreak of influenza AH1N1 in 2009 (see Fides 27/04/2009; 04/05/2009; 08/05/2009).
The Secretary-General of the Mexican Episcopal Conference (CEM ), the Auxiliary Bishop of Puebla, His Exc. Mgr. Eugenio Lira, has been designated as one of the leaders in charge of maintaining contact with federal authorities in this regard, and to be informed about specific measures taken by each Bishop in his own religious jurisdiction. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/02/2014)
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend
- 2015-06-13 - A card to distinguish true priests from false priests
- 2015-06-11 - The Bishops invite the winners of the elections to fulfil the promises made
- 2015-05-28 - The churches of Piedras Negras become centers of aid to people affected by the tornado
- 2015-05-27 - Tornado among the strongest recorded in the country affects Ciudad Acuña: 14 deaths and massive damage
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination