AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church concerned about the influenza that kills
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - A delegation of Mexican Bishops, gathered at the headquarters of the Episcopal Conference, contacted the Ministry of Health in order to assess whether churches have to take appropriate measures to prevent the spread of influenza type AH1N1 that is spreading in the country. According to official data of the Mexican Ministry of Health, since January 1, 3028 cases have been registered, of which 2,572 confirmed as AH1N1, and 316 deaths. This virus season, according to the report, causes the most severe cases in adults between 35 and 55 years of age, particularly in the chronically ill and obese .
The note sent to Fides refers to the possibility of applying the rules already adopted in the diocese during the first outbreak of influenza AH1N1 in 2009 (see Fides 27/04/2009; 04/05/2009; 08/05/2009).
The Secretary-General of the Mexican Episcopal Conference (CEM ), the Auxiliary Bishop of Puebla, His Exc. Mgr. Eugenio Lira, has been designated as one of the leaders in charge of maintaining contact with federal authorities in this regard, and to be informed about specific measures taken by each Bishop in his own religious jurisdiction. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/02/2014)
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus
- 2014-07-30 - Prisons become "universities of crime": the Church insists on re-education
- 2014-07-28 - Over five thousand people march for peace and for life
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration