AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church concerned about the influenza that kills
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - A delegation of Mexican Bishops, gathered at the headquarters of the Episcopal Conference, contacted the Ministry of Health in order to assess whether churches have to take appropriate measures to prevent the spread of influenza type AH1N1 that is spreading in the country. According to official data of the Mexican Ministry of Health, since January 1, 3028 cases have been registered, of which 2,572 confirmed as AH1N1, and 316 deaths. This virus season, according to the report, causes the most severe cases in adults between 35 and 55 years of age, particularly in the chronically ill and obese .
The note sent to Fides refers to the possibility of applying the rules already adopted in the diocese during the first outbreak of influenza AH1N1 in 2009 (see Fides 27/04/2009; 04/05/2009; 08/05/2009).
The Secretary-General of the Mexican Episcopal Conference (CEM ), the Auxiliary Bishop of Puebla, His Exc. Mgr. Eugenio Lira, has been designated as one of the leaders in charge of maintaining contact with federal authorities in this regard, and to be informed about specific measures taken by each Bishop in his own religious jurisdiction. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/02/2014)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement