ASIA/LEBANON - The victims of the Armenian Genocide will be canonized
Antelias (Agenzia Fides) - Almost a century since the Armenian genocide – carried out in the territories of Turkey in 1915 - the Armenian Apostolic Church firmly and definitively confirms its intention to proceed with the canonization for martyrdom of the victims of what the Armenians call the "Great Evil". The confirmation came from the meeting of the Committee for the canonization set up ad hoc and held from January 27 to 29 in Antelias, Lebanon, at the Cathedral of the Armenian Catholicosate of the Great House of Cilicia. The meeting was convened with the blessing of both of the highest authorities of the Armenian Apostolic Church: the Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians Karekin II (who resides in Echmiadzin, in Armenia) and the Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia Aram I. The bishops and priests who make up the committee discussed the more concrete aspects of the procedures and modalities to be followed for the canonization, which will have to be completed by 2015, one centenary after the genocide. During the meeting aspects related to the preparation of the texts for the commemorative liturgies were discussed. The Committee will meet again at the end of May, at the Patriarchal See of Echmiadzin, to develop the final details for the collective canonization of the victims of the "Big Evil". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/02/2014)
- 2014-12-19 - Appeal of the Chaldean Bishop of Beirut for displaced Iraqi Christians
- 2014-12-11 - The Syro-Catholic Bishops: let us apply the principles of the "Declaration of al-Azhar"
- 2014-12-10 - Patriarch Ignace Yussif III at the Synod of the Syro- Catholic Church: let us help to grasp the "signs of the times"
- 2014-12-04 - Maronite Bishops: they are turning the country into an oligarchy, at the expense of the Constitution, the people and the institutions
- 2014-11-26 - For Patriarch Rai dialogue between Hezbollah and Sunni of the "Future" Movement would take Lebanon out of its crisis
- 2014-11-13 - The Maronite League: no foreign Country can decide on the future of Lebanon
- 2014-11-13 - Syrian Orthodox Church: international protection for Christians in the Nineveh Plain is needed
- 2014-11-10 - Patriarch Rai accuses the Lebanese politicians: "You have betrayed the Constitution"
- 2014-11-03 - Patriarch Rai: immediately elect a Christian President to save the Lebanese "model"
- 2014-10-01 - The President of Caritas Lebanon: hostility toward the Syrian refugees increases