ASIA/LEBANON - The victims of the Armenian Genocide will be canonized
Antelias (Agenzia Fides) - Almost a century since the Armenian genocide – carried out in the territories of Turkey in 1915 - the Armenian Apostolic Church firmly and definitively confirms its intention to proceed with the canonization for martyrdom of the victims of what the Armenians call the "Great Evil". The confirmation came from the meeting of the Committee for the canonization set up ad hoc and held from January 27 to 29 in Antelias, Lebanon, at the Cathedral of the Armenian Catholicosate of the Great House of Cilicia. The meeting was convened with the blessing of both of the highest authorities of the Armenian Apostolic Church: the Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians Karekin II (who resides in Echmiadzin, in Armenia) and the Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia Aram I. The bishops and priests who make up the committee discussed the more concrete aspects of the procedures and modalities to be followed for the canonization, which will have to be completed by 2015, one centenary after the genocide. During the meeting aspects related to the preparation of the texts for the commemorative liturgies were discussed. The Committee will meet again at the end of May, at the Patriarchal See of Echmiadzin, to develop the final details for the collective canonization of the victims of the "Big Evil". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/02/2014)
- 2014-04-11 - Neither Geagea, nor Aoun. For Patriarch Rai the new President must be a "figure of consensus"
- 2014-04-10 - The president of Caritas Lebanon: the international community has to open refugee camps in Syria
- 2014-03-26 - Patriarch Rai intervenes on the election of the new President
- 2014-03-18 - Patriarch Rai at the Mass for Caritas: the war of attrition in the Country must stop
- 2014-03-11 - Maronite Church: to encourage organ donation
- 2014-02-15 - The reduction of lands belonging to Christians continues
- 2014-02-10 - Feast of St. Maron, the Lebanese reflect on the "Bkerké Charter"
- 2014-02-05 - The victims of the Armenian Genocide will be canonized
- 2014-02-01 - Maronite priest Paul Karam new President of Caritas Lebanon
- 2014-01-23 - Patriarch Rai: Tripoli will not give in to the spiral of sectarian violence