AMERICA/BRAZIL - 50 years since the II Vatican Council: missionary commitment, consecrated life, episcopal ministry of Bishops
Rio de Janeiro (Agenzia Fides) - In July 1990, with the presence of the then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the first course for Brazilian Bishops took place at the Study and Formation Center of Sumaré, in Rio de Janeiro, on the theme "the Petrino ministry in our time". Since then, with only two exceptions, every year the Bishops gather for a period of comunion and discussion on issues of common interest, with professors who help them to explore the topics chosen. The theme in the last few years has been the Second Vatican Council, with a review of the documents of the Council on the occasion of the 50th anniversary.
The note sent to Fides Agency by the Bishops Conference of Brazil, says: "This year we will have the opportunity to discuss the issues of missions, of consecrated life and mission of the Bishops, and consequently the role of the priest". The main documents needed are the decrees "Ad Gentes", "Perfectae Caritatis" and " hristus Dominus".
The course will be held from February 3 to 7.
The Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, Cardinal Fernando Filoni, will be present and will focus on the decree "Ad Gentes", dealing with the missionary profile today. His speech "aims at strengthening our awareness and missionary commitment to sending missionaries in the regions which in the past sent missionaries to Brazil. It is important to note that many new communities send missionaries to Europe, which is experiencing a profound crisis of vocations. Even diocesan priests must open up to the missionary spirit, not just to go to other countries, but also to the major regions of the Amazon".
The Prefect of the Congregation for the Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life, Cardinal John Braz Aviz, will talk about the document "Perfectae Charitatis", illustrating the vocational dimension and the specific issues related to religious life. The Archbishop of Taranto, His Exc. Mgr. Filippo Santoro, will focus on the centrality of the episcopal ministry, while His Exc. Msg. Fernando Guimarães, Bishop of Garanhuns, will deal with the relationship between papacy and episcopate. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/02/2014)
- 2015-08-28 - Scalabrinians: international meeting to find new answers to the issue of migration
- 2015-08-19 - "Church and mining activity": testimonies and experiences in defense of life and territories
- 2015-08-18 - Local Catholic Church demands guaranteed rights for migrants
- 2015-08-13 - Tension between Haitians and locals, Haitian citizen mortally wounded
- 2015-08-11 - National Family Week, an event that grows in Brazil
- 2015-08-08 - Pilgrimage in the heart of the Amazon in defense of creation and to remember Sister Dorothy Stang
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Franciscan Sister murdered
- 2015-07-23 - Mission Campaign 2015: material ready
- 2015-07-21 - The water crisis threatens millions of people
- 2015-07-20 - A video documents the first missionary experience of young people in the Amazon