ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Pope in Korea? A message of hope for all of Asia"
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - "An apostolic visit of Pope Francis in Korea would be a message of hope to all countries in Asia. We hope with all our heart that this happens. It would also give great motivation to the Korean Church to continue to work on the evangelization of Asia": is what the Archbishop of Seoul, Andrew Yeom Soo-jung said to Fides Agency. In recent days, the spokesman of the Vatican press office, Fr. Federico Lombardi, said that a Pope's visit to Korea is being studied and could occur on the occasion of the Asian Youth Day, the gathering of young Catholics in Asia, held in Daejeon, from August 10 to 17".
Commenting on the possible pastoral visit, the Archbishop told Fides: "Every time he gets a chance, Francis Pope underlines the urgent need for the Church today: the ability to heal wounds and to warm the hearts of the faithful". This pastoral orientation must be contextualized in Korea: "The Korean society today - the Archbishop notes - lives the problem of the gap between rich and poor, and the ideological differences between the progressive and conservative party. These divisions cause anxiety and chaos in society. There are also differences in the Korean Catholic Church and many people are facing a crisis of faith. I hope that a visit on behalf of the Holy Father in Korea may be the occasion for us to learn how to overcome these differences and co-exist harmoniously in the love of Christ".
The newly appointed Cardinal concludes: "Pope Francis’ pastoral approach emphasizes the fundamental teaching of the Christian faith: to help others and to love the poor. Therefore, the most important mission of the Church in Korea is to take care of the poor and marginalized. A visit of the Holy Father in Korea not only would bring great hope to the Korean Church, but also to the entire Korean society". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 03/02/2014)
- 2014-08-18 - The Bishops: "The hug towards the disabled: the most significant moment of the Pope's visit"
- 2014-07-14 - The site of the Pope's trip to Korea is online
- 2014-06-27 - The Asian Bishops: "The Pope with our young people: an event of grace"
- 2014-06-12 - New commitment to enhance the ecumenical movement: social evangelization and missionary initiatives
- 2014-05-26 - South Korea invites a group of North Korean Catholics to the Pope's Mass in Seoul
- 2014-05-21 - The Cardinal of Seul visits North Korea
- 2014-04-25 - Annual Workshop of Caritas: Communicate to evangelize
- 2014-03-26 - "Small Christian Communities" instrument of evangelization
- 2014-03-14 - Church and government engaged in the Pope's visit; boom of participants at the Asian Youth Day
- 2014-03-11 - The Bishops: "Korea, rise up in splendor!", the Pope is coming