ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Pope in Korea? A message of hope for all of Asia"
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - "An apostolic visit of Pope Francis in Korea would be a message of hope to all countries in Asia. We hope with all our heart that this happens. It would also give great motivation to the Korean Church to continue to work on the evangelization of Asia": is what the Archbishop of Seoul, Andrew Yeom Soo-jung said to Fides Agency. In recent days, the spokesman of the Vatican press office, Fr. Federico Lombardi, said that a Pope's visit to Korea is being studied and could occur on the occasion of the Asian Youth Day, the gathering of young Catholics in Asia, held in Daejeon, from August 10 to 17".
Commenting on the possible pastoral visit, the Archbishop told Fides: "Every time he gets a chance, Francis Pope underlines the urgent need for the Church today: the ability to heal wounds and to warm the hearts of the faithful". This pastoral orientation must be contextualized in Korea: "The Korean society today - the Archbishop notes - lives the problem of the gap between rich and poor, and the ideological differences between the progressive and conservative party. These divisions cause anxiety and chaos in society. There are also differences in the Korean Catholic Church and many people are facing a crisis of faith. I hope that a visit on behalf of the Holy Father in Korea may be the occasion for us to learn how to overcome these differences and co-exist harmoniously in the love of Christ".
The newly appointed Cardinal concludes: "Pope Francis’ pastoral approach emphasizes the fundamental teaching of the Christian faith: to help others and to love the poor. Therefore, the most important mission of the Church in Korea is to take care of the poor and marginalized. A visit of the Holy Father in Korea not only would bring great hope to the Korean Church, but also to the entire Korean society". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 03/02/2014)
- 2014-02-24 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Catholic Bishops: for 2014 “a Church with a warm heart”
- 2014-02-19 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - "Forty days for life": Church reinforces its commitment against abortion
- 2014-02-10 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Korean martyrs, a model of holiness"
- 2014-02-06 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - In the wake of Evangelii Gaudium, the Church is committed to the poor and unemployed
- 2014-02-04 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Vocations bloom: the ordination of bishops, priests and deacons in Seoul
- 2014-02-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Pope in Korea? A message of hope for all of Asia"
- 2014-01-24 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Newly appointed Cardinal Yeom Soo-jung visits the homeless
- 2014-01-15 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Archbishop Yeom Soo- jung: "A call to the evangelization of China and North Korea"
- 2013-12-11 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Pastoral Letter of the Archbishop of Seoul: A new year for the new evangelization
- 2013-11-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Controversy between a priest and the Korean President: the Archbishop of Seoul invites priests not to get involved in politics