ASIA/LEBANON - Maronite priest Paul Karam new President of Caritas Lebanon
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - The Council of Catholic Patriarchates and Priests which convenes under Maronite Patriarch Beshara Rai in Bkirki appointed Maronite priest Paul Karam as new president of Caritas Lebanon on January 31. Father Karam is currently the National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in Lebanon. The decision was made by the Council of the Patriarchates after assessing Caritas Lebanon’s role in light of increasing social challenges posed with the deluge of Syrian refugees (nearly 900 thousand according to UN sources, more than a million according to the Lebanese authorities) and the catastrophic conditions in which many of them live.
Father Paul Karam, 47, who hails from the Jbeil village of Qartaba, will assume his post in April for an initial three-year term. "I hope to be worthy of this great responsibility", said the newly-elected President to Fides. "I hope to be able to help those who are suffering and in need. Father Karam’s predecessor, Father Simon Faddoul, on January 13was appointed the first Apostolic Exarch of Western and Central Africa and is preparing to move to the Nigerian city of Ibadan where he will start his new, challenging and exciting mission. (GV) (Agency Fides 01/02/2014)
- 2015-01-28 - The Patriarchs of Antioch: in order to stop the conflict, arms trafficking must be stopped
- 2015-01-19 - Patriarch Rai: also poverty destabilizes the Middle East
- 2015-01-15 - Maronite League: a UN resolution against the attacks on religions is needed
- 2015-01-14 - Frost and snow: first victims due to frostbite among the Syrian refugees
- 2015-01-08 - Maronite Bishops to MPs: elect the new President as soon as possible
- 2014-12-30 - Hypothesis of a meeting Aoun-Geagea to overcome divisions among political Christian forces
- 2014-12-19 - Appeal of the Chaldean Bishop of Beirut for displaced Iraqi Christians
- 2014-12-11 - The Syro-Catholic Bishops: let us apply the principles of the "Declaration of al-Azhar"
- 2014-12-10 - Patriarch Ignace Yussif III at the Synod of the Syro- Catholic Church: let us help to grasp the "signs of the times"
- 2014-12-04 - Maronite Bishops: they are turning the country into an oligarchy, at the expense of the Constitution, the people and the institutions