OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Archbishop Young: concern for the 13 prisoners that will be executed
Mount Hagen (Agenzia Fides) - Papua New Guinea's Justice Minister says the execution of 13 people currently on death row will happen this year, despite strong opposition from human rights groups.
"Deep concern" and "absolute opposition to death penalty" were expressed by Msg. Douglas Young, Archbishop of Mount Hagen.
Kerenga Kua says the Constitutional Law Reform Commission is still trying to work out which methods of execution will be used and where they will take place. Execution methods that could be used include: suffocation, lethal injection, firing squad, electric shock, hanging.
Death penalty was reactivated in May 2013 by the government to tackle the problem of a growing crime rate, with the idea of "creating a more orderly and peaceful society".
Archbishop Yooung, speaking on behalf of the Bishops' Conference of Papaya New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, reiterated the condemnation of the decision to reinstate death penalty in the country, raising the call for the repeal. It is well known that death penalty, the Bishops say, is not an effective deterrent to fighting crime. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2014)
- 2014-03-01 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Bishops: urgent “truly humane” response to question of refugees
- 2014-02-03 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - UN Coordinator in Papua: "Additional reflection is needed with regards to death penalty"
- 2014-01-31 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Archbishop Young: concern for the 13 prisoners that will be executed
- 2014-01-30 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church: population growth is not a nightmare
- 2014-01-28 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA – Does Papua New Guinea want notoriety thanks to the death penalty?
- 2014-01-23 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - On the feast of St. Francis de Sales, the Church reflects on witchcraft
- 2014-01-02 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Fight against witchcraft: the vital contribution of Churches
- 2013-12-19 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - A nun at the service of the illiterate and people with AIDS
- 2013-11-29 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church in the Pacific wants to be more present in the media
- 2013-11-18 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Bishop Rolando Santos: "The light of faith to enlighten the lives of families"