AFRICA/CHAD - Christians and Muslims pray together for peace in Chad and Central Africa
N'Djamena (Agenzia Fides) - "The closing of the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity was celebrated in a very special way in Chad because it coincided with the third National Day of peaceful cohabitation", is what is said a note sent to Fides Agency by Fr. Clément Marie Bonou, of the Franciscans of Mary Immaculate.
"This - explains the religious - has to do with an initiative jointly organized by the Archdiocese of N'Djamena, the Superior Council of Islamic Affairs and the churches and evangelical missions in Chad in order to promote inter-religious dialogue and to allow Chadians of different faiths to live in an atmosphere of love and peace".
The Day should be celebrated on November 28 but was postponed due to the death, on November 19, of the Archbishop of N'Djamena, Mgr. Mathias Ngarteri Mayadi, who was the promoter of the initiative.
"The presence of the President of the Republic and members of his government denotes the need for all to work for peace and unity in the region of Central Africa", said Fr. Bonou, with a clear reference to the crisis in the neighboring Central African Republic, where Chadian soldiers are part of the African Union Mission in charge of helping to restore order in the Country, where the coexistence between the Christian and Muslim communities is put to test by recent events .
"In their prayers, the leaders of the three major religious communities, including Mgr. Joachim Kouraleyo Tarounga, Bishop of Moundou representing the Catholic Church, ask God to bless Chad. A unanimous prayer was addressed for peace in the Central African Republic". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 30/01/2014)
- 2014-05-26 - Thousands of displaced children in the Central African Republic left without education
- 2014-03-27 - "We must choose between corruption and the generosity of the Christian faith": Message for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Pala
- 2014-01-30 - Christians and Muslims pray together for peace in Chad and Central Africa
- 2013-12-04 - Consecration of the cathedral of Mongo
- 2013-11-06 - "A school, a life" thousands of children without education condemned to poverty
- 2013-10-22 - AFRICA/CHAD – 75 years of the presence of the Capuchin Minor Friars in Chad and Central Africa
- 2013-07-19 - Emergency refugees, mostly children orphaned or separated from their parents
- 2013-01-02 - Mgr. Russo can return to Chad and guide the diocese of Doba
- 2012-10-31 - Catholic students ask the authorities to reconsider Mgr. Russo's expulsion
- 2012-10-18 - The children who emigrated finally reunited with their families