OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA – Does Papua New Guinea want notoriety thanks to the death penalty?
Port Moresby (Agenzia Fides) - 13 men convicted of crimes of piracy and murder a few years ago will most likely be executed. The 13 are on death row and, according to the media, "have very few days left". "It is unlikely they will see another Christmas", says the "The National" newspaper published yesterday, January 27. In 2013, Papua New Guinea reinstated the death penalty for the crimes of murder, aggravated rape and armed robbery. Senior government officials traveled extensively abroad in 2013 trying to figure out what could be the most suitable form of execution with regards to the country: lethal injection , hanging or firing. They visited the United States, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. "We refuse to believe that all 13 detainees will be executed together with such a blatant act, the nation would gain, for the first time in history, the headlines of all the international media" said Fr . George Licini, PIME, secretary of the Commission for Social Communications within the local Episcopal Conference.
"It seems, unfortunately, that this is the expectation of the government, and perhaps the desire of many citizens of Papua New Guinea", the missionary said, highlighting to Fides another question: "In informal discussions there are questions on the figure of the executioner, it must be someone from outside the country in order to avoid possible retaliation and tribal clashes in society. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2014)
- 2014-03-01 - Bishops: urgent “truly humane” response to question of refugees
- 2014-02-03 - UN Coordinator in Papua: "Additional reflection is needed with regards to death penalty"
- 2014-01-31 - Archbishop Young: concern for the 13 prisoners that will be executed
- 2014-01-30 - The Church: population growth is not a nightmare
- 2014-01-28 - OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA – Does Papua New Guinea want notoriety thanks to the death penalty?
- 2014-01-23 - On the feast of St. Francis de Sales, the Church reflects on witchcraft
- 2014-01-02 - Fight against witchcraft: the vital contribution of Churches
- 2013-12-19 - A nun at the service of the illiterate and people with AIDS
- 2013-11-29 - The Church in the Pacific wants to be more present in the media
- 2013-11-18 - Bishop Rolando Santos: "The light of faith to enlighten the lives of families"