AMERICA/BRAZIL - Prisons do not re-educate and are in crisis: intervention of the Archbishop of Rio
Rio de Janeiro (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Rio de Janeiro, His Exc. Mgr. Orani João Tempesta, recently appointed Cardinal by Pope Francis, has questioned the Brazilian prison system, highlighting the fact that the country's prisons "do not re-educate" inmates. According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the Archbishop met with the President of Brazil, Dilma Rousseff, in Brasilia, on January 21, and on this occasion expressed his concern over the prisons in Brazil, which are in a situation of tremendous crisis.
The situation of Brazilian prisons has attracted the attention of international organizations after last year’s violence in the prisons of the state of Maranhao, where 62 people died in 2013. In 2014 the penitential center of Pedrinhas, one of the most violent in the country, always in the state of Maranhao, has already recorded three deaths, the last on January 21. Pedrinhas reflects the reality of the situation in the Brazilian prison system. According to a recent official study, published by the local press, prisons in Brazil can accommodate 306.497 prisoners, but at the end of 2011 there were 514.582 prisoners. The Minister of Justice has announced the construction of new premises for prisons before the end of 2014. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/01/2014)
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - " Fraternity and human trafficking", a constant struggle against this scourge
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni: "The announcement ad gentes is part of the responsibility that all the particular Churches have toward Christ"
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni to Brazilian Bishops: The II Vatican Council and the missionary dimension of the Church
- 2014-02-03 AMERICA/BRAZIL - 50 years since the II Vatican Council: missionary commitment, consecrated life, episcopal ministry of Bishops
- 2014-01-23 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Prisons do not re-educate and are in crisis: intervention of the Archbishop of Rio
- 2013-11-29 AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
- 2013-11-20 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life" campaign against human trafficking in view of the World Cup
- 2013-11-09 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The Bishops: Catholic communities in the front line against human trafficking
- 2013-10-19 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Orionines at the Assembly in Aparecida, 100 years after the arrival of the first missionaries in Brazil