ASIA/PAKISTAN - Christians wish to "be united in everyday life"
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - "The unity of Christians goes beyond worship, meetings and declarations: it must have a tangible expression in daily life": this is what the Anglican Bishop Msg. Manu Romal Shah, emeritus of Peshawar said during an ecumenical assembly with more than 200 participants among priests, nuns, seminarians, novices and lay faithful who gathered in past days in the Catholic Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Lahore on the occasion of the "Week for Christian unity".
As reported to Fides, Pakistani Christians, of different confessions, live the annual event with fervor, reflecting on their status in society.
The Bishop explained: "Whatever religious freedom we have in Pakistan, it is important that we make our unity visible". Msg. Manu Romal Shah recalled the tragic attacks of September 22, 2013, when two explosions hit the "All Saints Church" in Peshawar. "Christians across the country expressed great solidarity and helped the victims through visits, prayers and financial support.
But we do not need these incidents or difficulties to show our unity: it should be strong even in times of peace and well being", he noted.
The Catholic Archbishop of Lahore, Sebastian Francis Shaw OFM, who hosted the meeting, spoke of a "new Pentecost", appreciating and accepting "the differences of every denomination". Mgr. Shaw said that "when we accept the Lord as our creator, then we can easily get closer to each other, because we identify ourselves as his creatures. I hope that we can rediscover and strengthen our relations, in order to be effective witnesses with the faithful of other religions in Pakistan". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2014-03-07 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Women in Pakistan: Christian girls raped by Muslims
- 2014-03-04 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Threats to judges and lawyers: two Christians accused of blasphemy remain in jail
- 2014-03-03 ASIA/PAKISTAN – A young Christian girl killed by the Taliban for helping a Muslim converted to Christianity
- 2014-02-26 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Leading politicians reassure new Archbishop: “government will respect the rights of Pakistan’s Churches”
- 2014-02-21 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Dialogue with the Taliban? Peace march to say "no" to extremism
- 2014-02-19 ASIA/PAKISTAN – Inauguration ceremony for Archbishop Shaw in Lahore: "A new beginning for the Church", says the Nuncio
- 2014-02-14 ASIA/PAKISTAN - "Who killed Sabir Masih?": Mysterious death of a Christian who was in police custody
- 2014-02-13 ASIA/PAKISTAN - The Anglican Bishop of Karachi: "Christians in danger, police and judiciary in lethargy"
- 2014-02-04 ASIA/PAKISTAN - No to bail: the appeal of Christians allowed, the Lahore High Court does not release extremists
- 2014-01-31 ASIA/PAKISTAN - 2014 proclaimed "year of peace and hope" in Faisalabad