ASIA/PAKISTAN - Christians wish to "be united in everyday life"
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - "The unity of Christians goes beyond worship, meetings and declarations: it must have a tangible expression in daily life": this is what the Anglican Bishop Msg. Manu Romal Shah, emeritus of Peshawar said during an ecumenical assembly with more than 200 participants among priests, nuns, seminarians, novices and lay faithful who gathered in past days in the Catholic Cathedral of the Sacred Heart in Lahore on the occasion of the "Week for Christian unity".
As reported to Fides, Pakistani Christians, of different confessions, live the annual event with fervor, reflecting on their status in society.
The Bishop explained: "Whatever religious freedom we have in Pakistan, it is important that we make our unity visible". Msg. Manu Romal Shah recalled the tragic attacks of September 22, 2013, when two explosions hit the "All Saints Church" in Peshawar. "Christians across the country expressed great solidarity and helped the victims through visits, prayers and financial support.
But we do not need these incidents or difficulties to show our unity: it should be strong even in times of peace and well being", he noted.
The Catholic Archbishop of Lahore, Sebastian Francis Shaw OFM, who hosted the meeting, spoke of a "new Pentecost", appreciating and accepting "the differences of every denomination". Mgr. Shaw said that "when we accept the Lord as our creator, then we can easily get closer to each other, because we identify ourselves as his creatures. I hope that we can rediscover and strengthen our relations, in order to be effective witnesses with the faithful of other religions in Pakistan". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2015-04-17 - Shots fired against a Catholic school in Lahore, three injured
- 2015-04-16 - The lawyers: "Justice after the death of Nauman Masih, killed because a Christian"
- 2015-04-15 - The Christian boy burnt alive by young Muslims has died
- 2015-04-14 - Religious leaders and politicians united for peace, against terrorism
- 2015-04-13 - A boy, burnt alive because a Christian, is in serious condition
- 2015-04-09 - School programs in the name of religious tolerance in Sindh
- 2015-04-08 - The Archbishop of Lahore: "Like the martyrs in Youhanabad, have faith in God"
- 2015-04-01 - 28 Christians are indicted for the lynching of Lahore
- 2015-03-30 - 20 victims of the attacks on the churches in Youhanabad
- 2015-03-28 - Christian leaders: a Commission of inquiry regarding the massacre in Youhanabad