AMERICA/HONDURAS - 3,800 children and young people killed in the last four years
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - According to the NGO Casa Alianza, which protects minors in Latin America, from January 2010 to December 2013, 3,800 children and young people under 23 years of age were murdered in Honduras. Since 1998, the NGO collects statistics on deaths under the age of 23, which depicts the general violence in which the Country lives, considered as the most violent in the world. According to the figures, in 2013 1,013 violent deaths of girls, boys and young people were recorded, an increase of 102 cases compared to 2012. 87 deaths were recorded in December alone: 16 girls and boys from 0 to 17 years of age and 71 young people aged between 18 and 23. In all 70 males and 17 females. Since these statistics have been carried out, 8,989 cases of extrajudicial executions and violent deaths regarding children and young people have been registered in the Country. The NGO denounced the impunity with which these crimes are committed and assured that there is a perception among citizens that the police merely collect the bodies and hand them over to the families, and the death of a boy or a girl is just a document to be added among the judicial acts. According to police data, the murder rate in 2013 was 75.1 per 100 thousand inhabitants, while the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Honduras (UNAH) estimates they were 83 per 100 thousand inhabitants. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/01/2014)
- 2015-07-17 - Sexual abuse on children have repercussions in adulthood
- 2015-07-15 - A new ward for children suffering from dengue and chikungunya
- 2015-07-15 - Campaign of the diocese of San Pedro Sula: "An honest man is not corrupt"
- 2015-07-06 - Still demonstrations against corruption, while other scandals come to light
- 2015-07-03 - The Bishops offer their support to dialogue for social peace
- 2015-06-27 - The Church: "politics without corruption"
- 2015-05-21 - "With courage and more faith": Danilo Aceituno lived at the service of God and of the Church
- 2015-03-25 - Minors exploited and underpaid
- 2015-03-03 - There are 6000 teachers: one million children do not go to school
- 2015-02-03 - Card. Maradiaga supports the "Plan de la Alianza para la Prosperidad"