AMERICA/CUBA - Cooperation projects in a different Cuba
Holguin (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the American diocese of Chicago, His Exc. Mgr. John Manz, from Cuba, where he is on a visit to strengthen cooperation, said that "interaction is the best way to improve respect for human rights and push on our relations with that country, rather than isolation". The note sent to Fides reports the Bishop’s declaration, who is a member of the Subcommittee for the Church in Latin America of the United States Episcopal Conference (USCCB), on a visit to the Cuban Dioceses of Holguín and Santa Clara.
"It is important that the Church of the United States supports the Church in Cuba, especially in this time of change", said Mgr. Manz, referring to policies that allow Cubans to open stores, carry out religious activities more freely and travel out of the island. "The Church in Cuba wants to make sure that when people start a business they are formed according to the teaching of the Catholic social doctrine and recognize the priority of human beings on economy", said the American Bishop.
In less than a year the Church in Cuba has initiated a new project for the formation of operators in the world of commerce, which adds two more projects for new entrepreneurs, managed by the Society of Jesus and the Brothers of the Christian Schools (De La Salle), and another, managed by the Archdiocese of Havana itself (see Fides 22/10/2013). Since 2010, President Raul Castro has begun a process of economic opening to the private management of small businesses or cooperatives, once unthinkable in a country where 80 % was state employment. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/01/2014)
- 2015-10-22 - Towards a new Cuba: acknowledge the place of the Church in society once and for all
- 2015-09-22 - "Mission houses": places of community life and strength of the Church in Cuba
- 2015-09-12 - Amnesty for 3522 prisoners: the Bishops express their satisfaction with "this act of mercy"
- 2015-09-09 - Feast of Our Lady of Charity, Patroness of Cuba, in the view of the Pope’s visit
- 2015-08-21 - The Cuban government "appreciates the role of the Church", said Mgr. Hernández
- 2015-08-13 - Pope Francis in Cuba special government webpage and Divine Mercy logo
- 2015-07-02 - Food sovereignty and other initiatives resume power thanks to CELAM
- 2015-06-19 - Catholic radio through Internet
- 2015-06-02 - Pastoral Plan for the Church in Cuba: "a dynamic, open and missionary communion"
- 2015-04-24 - The Pope's visit will support the Cuban Church in its attention to the cause of peace and the common good