AMERICA/CUBA - Cooperation projects in a different Cuba
Holguin (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the American diocese of Chicago, His Exc. Mgr. John Manz, from Cuba, where he is on a visit to strengthen cooperation, said that "interaction is the best way to improve respect for human rights and push on our relations with that country, rather than isolation". The note sent to Fides reports the Bishop’s declaration, who is a member of the Subcommittee for the Church in Latin America of the United States Episcopal Conference (USCCB), on a visit to the Cuban Dioceses of Holguín and Santa Clara.
"It is important that the Church of the United States supports the Church in Cuba, especially in this time of change", said Mgr. Manz, referring to policies that allow Cubans to open stores, carry out religious activities more freely and travel out of the island. "The Church in Cuba wants to make sure that when people start a business they are formed according to the teaching of the Catholic social doctrine and recognize the priority of human beings on economy", said the American Bishop.
In less than a year the Church in Cuba has initiated a new project for the formation of operators in the world of commerce, which adds two more projects for new entrepreneurs, managed by the Society of Jesus and the Brothers of the Christian Schools (De La Salle), and another, managed by the Archdiocese of Havana itself (see Fides 22/10/2013). Since 2010, President Raul Castro has begun a process of economic opening to the private management of small businesses or cooperatives, once unthinkable in a country where 80 % was state employment. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/01/2014)
- 2014-09-12 - Pastoral Plan 2014-2020: Christian Communities called to a “missionary option”
- 2014-01-17 - Cooperation projects in a different Cuba
- 2013-12-21 - New Year in the sign of commitment towards family and missionary proclamation, in a different Cuba
- 2013-10-23 - School Education for disabled children
- 2013-10-22 - Entrepreneurs trained in courses promoted by the Catholic Church
- 2013-09-16 - "Hope does not disappoint", Cuban Bishops' letter asking for political reforms
- 2013-03-20 - Good Friday: granted non-working day
- 2013-02-13 - Pioneers of the economy in the Archdiocese of Santiago de Cuba
- 2013-01-26 - In Granma the government returns two schools and land to the Catholic Church
- 2012-12-13 - 50 days after the hurricane, thousands of people are still homeless and without services