ASIA/INDIA - Birth of the "Christian women’s Movement"
Bangalore (Agenzia Fides) – To launch a message of emancipation and woman’s dignity; rediscover the fundamental role of women in the Church, coming out of the cliché of subordination or inferiority complexes; emphasize the importance and the vital contribution of women in Indian society, in which there is a strongly patriarchal mentality which is marked by severe and frequent episodes of rapes which go unpunished.
As reported to Fides, during a national conference held a few days ago in Bangalore, hundreds of religious and laity of different Christian denominations gave life to the movement "to challenge the patriarchal mentality and promote equal rights and greater gender sensitivity". Among the various founders of the movement there is a " Commission for Women" within the Bishops' Conference of India. The participants were told to "promote acts of compassion and justice and defend the dignity of women". Realizing the urgency of giving voice to Christian women in the Church and in society, to protect the rights of women, they decided to launch the Movement aiming to be, above all, the voice of the poorest and most marginalized women. A committee of nine members was formed with the aim to broaden the movement and to develop ways and means of its active presence in the Indian society. The New Movement said it is in "full agreement" with Pope Francis, who has repeatedly stressed the importance and dignity of women in the Church and in society. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 17/01/2014)
- 2014-12-19 - Education, food and protection for orphaned girls
- 2014-12-19 - Christian leaders: "Christmas with a heavy heart because of the violence against Churches"
- 2014-12-16 - Year of the consecrated life: Sisters in brothels to save the enslaved prostitutes
- 2014-12-11 - Catholics: "The government must not encourage Hindu extremists"
- 2014-12-09 - Human Rights Day: Bishops focus on minorities, religious, tribals and Dalit
- 2014-12-06 - Artists of different faiths reflect on Saint Francis Xavier
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/INDIA – Protection for churches and religious freedom: Franciscans mobilise
- 2014-12-03 - “Treated worse than animals”: dramatic situation of women with psychological or intellectual disabilities
- 2014-12-03 - Srinagar and appointment of successor
- 2014-12-02 - Over 70 million children suffer from chronic malnutrition and 13 million work