ASIA/INDIA - Birth of the "Christian women’s Movement"
Bangalore (Agenzia Fides) – To launch a message of emancipation and woman’s dignity; rediscover the fundamental role of women in the Church, coming out of the cliché of subordination or inferiority complexes; emphasize the importance and the vital contribution of women in Indian society, in which there is a strongly patriarchal mentality which is marked by severe and frequent episodes of rapes which go unpunished.
As reported to Fides, during a national conference held a few days ago in Bangalore, hundreds of religious and laity of different Christian denominations gave life to the movement "to challenge the patriarchal mentality and promote equal rights and greater gender sensitivity". Among the various founders of the movement there is a " Commission for Women" within the Bishops' Conference of India. The participants were told to "promote acts of compassion and justice and defend the dignity of women". Realizing the urgency of giving voice to Christian women in the Church and in society, to protect the rights of women, they decided to launch the Movement aiming to be, above all, the voice of the poorest and most marginalized women. A committee of nine members was formed with the aim to broaden the movement and to develop ways and means of its active presence in the Indian society. The New Movement said it is in "full agreement" with Pope Francis, who has repeatedly stressed the importance and dignity of women in the Church and in society. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 17/01/2014)
- 2014-07-23 - ASIA/INDIA – Prison Ministry: the Church denounces overcrowding and is inspired by Fr. Kolbe
- 2014-07-23 - A special school to restore dignity and social role for the disabled
- 2014-07-22 - Religious violence increases in Uttar Pradesh
- 2014-07-09 - There is no end to poverty: it is estimated that there will be an increase of 100 million poor Indians
- 2014-07-09 - The drama of tea pickers left to themselves
- 2014-07-01 - Helping indigenous women and promoting their social and economic development
- 2014-06-20 - A Catholic Dalit is Deputy Prime Minister of the new state of Telangana
- 2014-06-14 - A Bishop: "Communicating the truth, without exagerating with violence against Christians"
- 2014-06-13 - Christians threatened after the murder of a believer in Orissa
- 2014-06-10 - existent sanitation facilities in the state schools of Madurai district