ASIA/LEBANON - The Missionary Childhood children in Lebanon help Syrian refugee children
Beirut ( Agenzia Fides) - Missionary Childhood (IM) Day will be celebrated on Sunday, January 26th, which has always had the motto "Children help children". Among the various initiatives, the young children of IM in Lebanon have organized themselves to help refugee children. The Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies, Fr. Paul Karam, and the secretary of the IM of the country, Nada Hajjar, declared that the aid will consist of clothing, fundraising, visits to refugee families.
In Lebanon, the IM supports about 15 000 children who, in 2013, raised more than $ 15,800 in addition to donations destined to Sudan, Iraq and Madagascar. Fr. Karam reported the presence in Lebanon of a half million Syrian refugees, almost all Muslims. This massive presence leads to further difficulties in the small Country which is not capable of sustaining many immigrants. Many arrive without a visa and even education is a problem. "The Church has the duty to awaken the conscience of the international community in order to promote a path of peace and take responsibility towards refugees", added Fr. Karam. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2014)
- 2014-12-11 - The Syro-Catholic Bishops: let us apply the principles of the "Declaration of al-Azhar"
- 2014-12-10 - Patriarch Ignace Yussif III at the Synod of the Syro- Catholic Church: let us help to grasp the "signs of the times"
- 2014-12-04 - Maronite Bishops: they are turning the country into an oligarchy, at the expense of the Constitution, the people and the institutions
- 2014-11-26 - For Patriarch Rai dialogue between Hezbollah and Sunni of the "Future" Movement would take Lebanon out of its crisis
- 2014-11-13 - The Maronite League: no foreign Country can decide on the future of Lebanon
- 2014-11-13 - Syrian Orthodox Church: international protection for Christians in the Nineveh Plain is needed
- 2014-11-10 - Patriarch Rai accuses the Lebanese politicians: "You have betrayed the Constitution"
- 2014-11-03 - Patriarch Rai: immediately elect a Christian President to save the Lebanese "model"
- 2014-10-01 - The President of Caritas Lebanon: hostility toward the Syrian refugees increases
- 2014-09-24 - Patriarch Rai: Lebanese Christians and Muslims share the same fate