ASIA/LEBANON - The Missionary Childhood children in Lebanon help Syrian refugee children
Beirut ( Agenzia Fides) - Missionary Childhood (IM) Day will be celebrated on Sunday, January 26th, which has always had the motto "Children help children". Among the various initiatives, the young children of IM in Lebanon have organized themselves to help refugee children. The Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies, Fr. Paul Karam, and the secretary of the IM of the country, Nada Hajjar, declared that the aid will consist of clothing, fundraising, visits to refugee families.
In Lebanon, the IM supports about 15 000 children who, in 2013, raised more than $ 15,800 in addition to donations destined to Sudan, Iraq and Madagascar. Fr. Karam reported the presence in Lebanon of a half million Syrian refugees, almost all Muslims. This massive presence leads to further difficulties in the small Country which is not capable of sustaining many immigrants. Many arrive without a visa and even education is a problem. "The Church has the duty to awaken the conscience of the international community in order to promote a path of peace and take responsibility towards refugees", added Fr. Karam. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2014)
- 2014-04-11 - Neither Geagea, nor Aoun. For Patriarch Rai the new President must be a "figure of consensus"
- 2014-04-10 - The president of Caritas Lebanon: the international community has to open refugee camps in Syria
- 2014-03-26 - Patriarch Rai intervenes on the election of the new President
- 2014-03-18 - Patriarch Rai at the Mass for Caritas: the war of attrition in the Country must stop
- 2014-03-11 - Maronite Church: to encourage organ donation
- 2014-02-15 - The reduction of lands belonging to Christians continues
- 2014-02-10 - Feast of St. Maron, the Lebanese reflect on the "Bkerké Charter"
- 2014-02-05 - The victims of the Armenian Genocide will be canonized
- 2014-02-01 - Maronite priest Paul Karam new President of Caritas Lebanon
- 2014-01-23 - Patriarch Rai: Tripoli will not give in to the spiral of sectarian violence