ASIA/LEBANON - The Missionary Childhood children in Lebanon help Syrian refugee children
Beirut ( Agenzia Fides) - Missionary Childhood (IM) Day will be celebrated on Sunday, January 26th, which has always had the motto "Children help children". Among the various initiatives, the young children of IM in Lebanon have organized themselves to help refugee children. The Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies, Fr. Paul Karam, and the secretary of the IM of the country, Nada Hajjar, declared that the aid will consist of clothing, fundraising, visits to refugee families.
In Lebanon, the IM supports about 15 000 children who, in 2013, raised more than $ 15,800 in addition to donations destined to Sudan, Iraq and Madagascar. Fr. Karam reported the presence in Lebanon of a half million Syrian refugees, almost all Muslims. This massive presence leads to further difficulties in the small Country which is not capable of sustaining many immigrants. Many arrive without a visa and even education is a problem. "The Church has the duty to awaken the conscience of the international community in order to promote a path of peace and take responsibility towards refugees", added Fr. Karam. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2014)
- 2015-01-28 - The Patriarchs of Antioch: in order to stop the conflict, arms trafficking must be stopped
- 2015-01-19 - Patriarch Rai: also poverty destabilizes the Middle East
- 2015-01-15 - Maronite League: a UN resolution against the attacks on religions is needed
- 2015-01-14 - Frost and snow: first victims due to frostbite among the Syrian refugees
- 2015-01-08 - Maronite Bishops to MPs: elect the new President as soon as possible
- 2014-12-30 - Hypothesis of a meeting Aoun-Geagea to overcome divisions among political Christian forces
- 2014-12-19 - Appeal of the Chaldean Bishop of Beirut for displaced Iraqi Christians
- 2014-12-11 - The Syro-Catholic Bishops: let us apply the principles of the "Declaration of al-Azhar"
- 2014-12-10 - Patriarch Ignace Yussif III at the Synod of the Syro- Catholic Church: let us help to grasp the "signs of the times"
- 2014-12-04 - Maronite Bishops: they are turning the country into an oligarchy, at the expense of the Constitution, the people and the institutions