ASIA/INDIA - Dalai Lama: "Forced conversion is an oxymoron"
Bangalore (Agenzia Fides) - Dalai Lama disapproves of "forced conversion" from one faith to another, defining the term "forced conversion" an "oxymoron", ie the combination of two terms entirely opposed to each other. The conversion, in fact, "is an act that touches the depths of human consciousness" that no one can compel or force in any way. As reported to Fides, Dalai Lama spoke at the convention of the Association of Anglo-Indian schools, held in recent days in Karnataka, an Indian state known for its problems, conflicts and interfaith tensions, mainly because of the presence of Hindu extremist groups that often accuse Christians of "forced conversions". Dalai Lama recognizes that "Christians help society with social programs in education and health care" and if they proselytize, "this is wrong", he added. But to coerce the core of consciousness of a human being is impossible. The religious leader also said that Buddhist organizations such as "Rama Krishna" operate in rural areas, to the benefit of the poorest and most marginalized, "without asking or expecting anything in return".
The Tibetan spiritual leader has also denounced the issue of "corruption" as "the greatest cancer of society" and urged India to seriously address the problem. A "right education, moral principles, discipline and inner peace are the way to fight corruption", he explained. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2015-10-07 - The government of Maharashtra suspends a play considered offensive towards Catholics
- 2015-10-05 - Food security, a right for all
- 2015-09-30 - Catholic cemetery vandalized and violence against the faithful
- 2015-09-28 - Salesians: "At the service of the poor youth, the disadvantaged, the migrant, in South Asia"
- 2015-09-23 - Catechesis and evangelization, a task entrusted to all the baptized
- 2015-09-22 - The Andhra Pradesh government assures support to Churches
- 2015-09-18 - A Carmelite nun killed in Kerala
- 2015-09-15 - Catholic activist threatened with death by Hindu radicals
- 2015-09-14 - Christians to the President of India: "Justice for the victims of the massacres in Orissa"
- 2015-09-11 - Bombay Archdiocese to hold National Eucharistic Congress in November