ASIA/INDIA - Dalai Lama: "Forced conversion is an oxymoron"
Bangalore (Agenzia Fides) - Dalai Lama disapproves of "forced conversion" from one faith to another, defining the term "forced conversion" an "oxymoron", ie the combination of two terms entirely opposed to each other. The conversion, in fact, "is an act that touches the depths of human consciousness" that no one can compel or force in any way. As reported to Fides, Dalai Lama spoke at the convention of the Association of Anglo-Indian schools, held in recent days in Karnataka, an Indian state known for its problems, conflicts and interfaith tensions, mainly because of the presence of Hindu extremist groups that often accuse Christians of "forced conversions". Dalai Lama recognizes that "Christians help society with social programs in education and health care" and if they proselytize, "this is wrong", he added. But to coerce the core of consciousness of a human being is impossible. The religious leader also said that Buddhist organizations such as "Rama Krishna" operate in rural areas, to the benefit of the poorest and most marginalized, "without asking or expecting anything in return".
The Tibetan spiritual leader has also denounced the issue of "corruption" as "the greatest cancer of society" and urged India to seriously address the problem. A "right education, moral principles, discipline and inner peace are the way to fight corruption", he explained. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2015-11-30 - "When we are nourished by the Eucharist, we can nourish others": a program for the Jubilee
- 2015-11-25 - Day for Dalits dedicated to climate and environment
- 2015-11-20 - Cardinal Gracias: "This is how we will live the Jubilee of Mercy"
- 2015-11-17 - Aggression against Christians to "convert to Hinduism"
- 2015-11-12 - Appeal to Prime Minister Modi: "Protect religious minorities"
- 2015-11-10 - Depression, mental and emotional disorders for orphans, victims of armed conflict
- 2015-11-06 - Son of a Protestant pastor kidnapped
- 2015-11-04 - Hindu extremists against the growth of the Christian and Muslim population
- 2015-11-03 - The Report of the Commission of Inquiry on anti-Christian violence in Orissa is being prepared
- 2015-10-29 - Cardinal Alencherry: "India has to deal with serious issues, not the consumption of beef"