ASIA/INDIA - Dalai Lama: "Forced conversion is an oxymoron"
Bangalore (Agenzia Fides) - Dalai Lama disapproves of "forced conversion" from one faith to another, defining the term "forced conversion" an "oxymoron", ie the combination of two terms entirely opposed to each other. The conversion, in fact, "is an act that touches the depths of human consciousness" that no one can compel or force in any way. As reported to Fides, Dalai Lama spoke at the convention of the Association of Anglo-Indian schools, held in recent days in Karnataka, an Indian state known for its problems, conflicts and interfaith tensions, mainly because of the presence of Hindu extremist groups that often accuse Christians of "forced conversions". Dalai Lama recognizes that "Christians help society with social programs in education and health care" and if they proselytize, "this is wrong", he added. But to coerce the core of consciousness of a human being is impossible. The religious leader also said that Buddhist organizations such as "Rama Krishna" operate in rural areas, to the benefit of the poorest and most marginalized, "without asking or expecting anything in return".
The Tibetan spiritual leader has also denounced the issue of "corruption" as "the greatest cancer of society" and urged India to seriously address the problem. A "right education, moral principles, discipline and inner peace are the way to fight corruption", he explained. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops of Orissa establish "Martyrs Day"
- 2015-09-01 - Interreligious prayer on the Day of Creation
- 2015-08-31 - In Orissa the Day of Remembrance for the victims of anti-Christian massacres
- 2015-08-29 - The Franciscans in India: an hour of Adoration for the Day of Creation
- 2015-08-28 - India is polio-free: thanks to the collaboration between State and Church
- 2015-08-26 - Census on religions: Muslims increas, Christians stable
- 2015-08-25 - "No more violence": anniversary of anti-Christian massacres in Orissa
- 2015-08-24 - A Christian Forum urges the Government of Orissa to protect Christians
- 2015-08-21 - The Daughters of Mary Help of Christians open a new convent in the state of Orissa
- 2015-08-04 - ASIA/INDIA – Over half a million children engaged in risky work in cotton fields