AFRICA/CAMEROON - Fr. Georges Vandenbeusch welcomed in France by his parishioners
Yaounde ( Agenzia Fides) – Great joy in Sceaux in the Department of Hauts-de-Seine (France) for the release of Fr. Georges Vandenbeusch, the French Fidei Donum priest kidnapped in Cameroon in mid-November and released on December 31, 2013 .
Fr. Vandenbeusch was released in northern Cameroon and, after being taken to the capital Yaounde, was repatriated .
In his parish home, Saint-Jean-Baptiste de Sceaux, he was able to embrace the faithful who prayed for his release.
The priest had been kidnapped by some members of Boko Haram, the extremist group from Nigeria, already responsible for the kidnapping of a French family in Cameroon. The group declared they released Fr. Vandenbeusch for "compassionate reasons", a fact belied by the priest.
Fr. Vandenbeusch worked in the parish of Nguetchewe in northern Cameroon. Appeals had been made for his release by the Episcopal Conference of Cameroon, also by the Islamic Union of Cameroon and by the Conseil Camerounais des Imams, des mosques et des Affaires Islamiques (COCIMAI). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/01/2014)
- 2015-07-29 - AFRICA/CAMEROON – For women kamikaze detonators easier to hide
- 2015-07-02 - Floods destroy homes and buildings, there are two thousand displaced
- 2015-06-17 - Women and girls rebel against forced marriage
- 2015-05-20 - Food insecurity in the north of the Country
- 2015-02-23 - Cameroonian press questions French policy to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-10-22 - African Catholic Bishops: "Respect democratic turnover"
- 2014-10-13 - "Only the Church assists victims of Boko Haram in the north of Cameroon," says a missionary
- 2014-09-03 - Humanitarian emergency for more than 30.000 people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-07-16 - Insecurity caused by Boko Haram: The Church promotes a day of prayer
- 2014-06-27 - An alleged kidnapper of the Italian missionaries and Canadian nun has been arrested