AFRICA/CAMEROON - Fr. Georges Vandenbeusch welcomed in France by his parishioners
Yaounde ( Agenzia Fides) – Great joy in Sceaux in the Department of Hauts-de-Seine (France) for the release of Fr. Georges Vandenbeusch, the French Fidei Donum priest kidnapped in Cameroon in mid-November and released on December 31, 2013 .
Fr. Vandenbeusch was released in northern Cameroon and, after being taken to the capital Yaounde, was repatriated .
In his parish home, Saint-Jean-Baptiste de Sceaux, he was able to embrace the faithful who prayed for his release.
The priest had been kidnapped by some members of Boko Haram, the extremist group from Nigeria, already responsible for the kidnapping of a French family in Cameroon. The group declared they released Fr. Vandenbeusch for "compassionate reasons", a fact belied by the priest.
Fr. Vandenbeusch worked in the parish of Nguetchewe in northern Cameroon. Appeals had been made for his release by the Episcopal Conference of Cameroon, also by the Islamic Union of Cameroon and by the Conseil Camerounais des Imams, des mosques et des Affaires Islamiques (COCIMAI). (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/01/2014)
- 2014-04-10 - There is growing concern about the influx of refugees from Central Africa
- 2014-04-07 - No contact with the kidnappers, Boko Haram could probably be behind the kidnapping
- 2014-01-03 - Fr. Georges Vandenbeusch welcomed in France by his parishioners
- 2013-11-28 - The Bishops: "Pray for the release of hostages in the world and in particular for Fr. Vandenbeusch"
- 2013-11-15 - French priest kidnapped by Boko Haram: to Fides the testimony of the previous pastor
- 2013-11-14 - Fidei Donum priest kidnapped
- 2013-04-29 - 3 out of 10 children are likely to die of malaria
- 2012-09-05 - Pan-African Congress of Catholic laity: "Being witnesses of Jesus Christ in Africa Today"
- 2011-10-22 - Paul Biya re-elected President of Cameroon
- 2011-10-10 - Weak participation and murder of two policemen mark the elections