AMERICA/CHILE - Michelle Bachelet, Chile's new president
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - The Socialist Michelle Bachelet, a 62-year-old pediatrician, separated with three children, president of Chile from 2006 to 2010, will again lead the country in "Palacio de la Moneda". After working in the department of the United Nations for women, where she was appreciated for her efforts, she returned to Chile in early 2013. Among other things, she rebuilt the old center-left alliance under the name "Nueva Mayoría", opening it to the communists and social movements. What has to be underlined is her dialogue with students, who have been protagonists for years in the recent history of Chile, who are protesting against the private system inherited from the military dictatorship. Bachelet has promised a change to respond to their demands.
The newly elected has a very pro-abortion position, but recognizes the common work in defense of human rights. Perhaps the most important challenge that awaits her will be the Constitution reform, that the governments of "transition" have postponed, and which today, after 23 years of democracy, represents an urgent task before the constitution left by Augusto Pinochet. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2014-04-14 - Card. Ezzati’s appeal: Solidarity with the people of Valparaiso after the tragic fire
- 2014-01-09 - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples
- 2014-01-07 - "One should listen to the Mapuche people in order to resolve the conflict in Araucanía" asks the Bishop of Temuco
- 2013-12-17 - "Supporting initiatives in favor of development": the President of the Bishops' Conference meets newly elected President Bachelet
- 2013-12-16 - Michelle Bachelet, Chile's new president
- 2013-11-23 - A community divided in two in order to protect the environment threatened by the Pascua Lama project
- 2013-11-22 - Solidarity of the Chilean Church to the victims of the typhoon that hit the Philippines
- 2013-11-08 - elected President of the CECh; waiting for the final message of the Assembly
- 2013-10-15 - A 12-meter missionary cross to conclude the "Youth Mission"
- 2013-10-11 - "Water should not be anyone's privilege": the first congress for water in Chile