AMERICA/CHILE - Michelle Bachelet, Chile's new president
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - The Socialist Michelle Bachelet, a 62-year-old pediatrician, separated with three children, president of Chile from 2006 to 2010, will again lead the country in "Palacio de la Moneda". After working in the department of the United Nations for women, where she was appreciated for her efforts, she returned to Chile in early 2013. Among other things, she rebuilt the old center-left alliance under the name "Nueva Mayoría", opening it to the communists and social movements. What has to be underlined is her dialogue with students, who have been protagonists for years in the recent history of Chile, who are protesting against the private system inherited from the military dictatorship. Bachelet has promised a change to respond to their demands.
The newly elected has a very pro-abortion position, but recognizes the common work in defense of human rights. Perhaps the most important challenge that awaits her will be the Constitution reform, that the governments of "transition" have postponed, and which today, after 23 years of democracy, represents an urgent task before the constitution left by Augusto Pinochet. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2015-02-23 - Rudimental bomb explodes near a parish in the capital
- 2015-01-29 - "We have lost a great opportunity": criticism regarding the Law on Education
- 2014-11-19 - Bishops support: "an educational reform for the good of the nation"
- 2014-10-20 - A hundred thousand on a pilgrimage for the family to the shrine of the first Chilean Saint
- 2014-10-03 - Apostolic Vicar of Aysen awarded: "Water is also a problem of sovereignty"
- 2014-06-26 - Wüñol Tripantu, the Mapuche celebration of the rebirth of life
- 2014-06-20 - "Here we are Lord, in the World Cup": special section on the website of the Catholic Bishops' Conference
- 2014-05-30 - AMERICA/CHILE – Local Catholic Church committed to educational reform nation wide
- 2014-05-07 - The decline in vocations to priesthood at the center of the Assembly of Bishops of Chile
- 2014-04-14 - Card. Ezzati’s appeal: Solidarity with the people of Valparaiso after the tragic fire