AMERICA/CHILE - Michelle Bachelet, Chile's new president
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - The Socialist Michelle Bachelet, a 62-year-old pediatrician, separated with three children, president of Chile from 2006 to 2010, will again lead the country in "Palacio de la Moneda". After working in the department of the United Nations for women, where she was appreciated for her efforts, she returned to Chile in early 2013. Among other things, she rebuilt the old center-left alliance under the name "Nueva Mayoría", opening it to the communists and social movements. What has to be underlined is her dialogue with students, who have been protagonists for years in the recent history of Chile, who are protesting against the private system inherited from the military dictatorship. Bachelet has promised a change to respond to their demands.
The newly elected has a very pro-abortion position, but recognizes the common work in defense of human rights. Perhaps the most important challenge that awaits her will be the Constitution reform, that the governments of "transition" have postponed, and which today, after 23 years of democracy, represents an urgent task before the constitution left by Augusto Pinochet. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2015-08-06 - "Freedoms have limits", said Mgr. Chomalí
- 2015-08-03 - “Abortion is never therapeutic”: local Catholic Church attacks
- 2015-07-01 - Procession at sea on Easter Island for St. Peter, praying for the Pope's visit
- 2015-05-19 - The main problems of childhood in Chile: Sexual exploitation, trafficking, drugs, alcohol
- 2015-05-18 - First agreement between former political prisoners and government, Mgr. Goic President of the Commission
- 2015-05-16 - Two students die during the protests; the Church appeals for non-violence
- 2015-05-06 - Bishops' statement: "The right to truth, forgiveness is not impunity"
- 2015-04-15 - Protection of life and communication in the Church's mission, priority in the Chilean Church
- 2015-04-14 - Floods force more than 40 000 children not to go to school
- 2015-03-30 - Floods and landslides: 12 dead and thousands displaced, Caritas at work