AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Strong condemnation of the attack committed by the FARC, that declare a truce for Christmas
Cali (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Cali, His Exc. Mgr. Dario de Jesus Monsalve, expressed his strong condemnation with regards to the attack carried out by the FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) in the municipality of Inza, in the area of Cauca (Colombia), on the morning of 7 December, which caused 9 deaths and 48 people were injured, in addition to the destruction of a police barrack and a dozen shops.
The population of Inza immediately visited the scene of the attack by bringing candles to pray for the dead (5 soldiers, a policeman and three civilians, according to the official report). "Many of the military and the police are not from here. They come from far away to carry out a security service. We cannot leave them alone", said a man who had gone there with the whole family.
While the news of the attack appeared in the media in Colombia, in Cuba, where peace talks are being held between the Colombian government and the FARC, a publication of a joint statement was postponed. In fact, the government withdrew its approval of the declaration because of this terrible act of terrorism. Some observers point out the urgent need to recognize the presence of subversive forces and other counterinsurgencies, and in any case there are attacks that do not consider the consequences on the civilian population.
In the meantime the media inform that the FARC has declared a 30-day truce for the Christmas period, starting from December 15. This decision was taken just after President Santos spoke to the nation , promising to "give no respite to the guerrillas, so they will not have a minute of peace and cannot perform acts such as these". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/12/2013)
- 2014-10-17 - "We hope peace is near" says Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-10-08 - The Auxiliary Bishop of Medellin: "We cannot get used to violence"
- 2014-10-06 - Another priest killed for armed robbery
- 2014-10-02 - Members of the third delegation of victims set off for Havana to meet with FARC representatives
- 2014-09-30 - Working with the indigenous open to inculturation: the commitment of the Apostolic Vicar of Mitu
- 2014-09-19 - Proclaiming the Gospel in an Amazonian context: the challenge for the Bishop of Puerto Leguizamo-Solano
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC