AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Strong condemnation of the attack committed by the FARC, that declare a truce for Christmas
Cali (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Cali, His Exc. Mgr. Dario de Jesus Monsalve, expressed his strong condemnation with regards to the attack carried out by the FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) in the municipality of Inza, in the area of Cauca (Colombia), on the morning of 7 December, which caused 9 deaths and 48 people were injured, in addition to the destruction of a police barrack and a dozen shops.
The population of Inza immediately visited the scene of the attack by bringing candles to pray for the dead (5 soldiers, a policeman and three civilians, according to the official report). "Many of the military and the police are not from here. They come from far away to carry out a security service. We cannot leave them alone", said a man who had gone there with the whole family.
While the news of the attack appeared in the media in Colombia, in Cuba, where peace talks are being held between the Colombian government and the FARC, a publication of a joint statement was postponed. In fact, the government withdrew its approval of the declaration because of this terrible act of terrorism. Some observers point out the urgent need to recognize the presence of subversive forces and other counterinsurgencies, and in any case there are attacks that do not consider the consequences on the civilian population.
In the meantime the media inform that the FARC has declared a 30-day truce for the Christmas period, starting from December 15. This decision was taken just after President Santos spoke to the nation , promising to "give no respite to the guerrillas, so they will not have a minute of peace and cannot perform acts such as these". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/12/2013)
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
- 2014-07-03 - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country
- 2014-06-28 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – IDPs are increasing: the Church appeals to the authorities to resolve the crisis
- 2014-06-27 - The Church with regards to peace talks: Consider the pain of the victims
- 2014-06-20 - "The Church has helped me to find a land": in Colombia 5.5 million internally displaced persons
- 2014-06-14 - off in Colombia, the Church calls for dialogue and mutual respect