AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - On December 13, National Day of Prayer and Fasting for Peace convened by the Bishops
Bissau (Agenzia Fides) - In the spirit of the liturgical season of Advent, the Bishops of the dioceses in Guinea Bissau and Bafata , His Exc. Mgr. Pedro Zilli and His Exc. Mgr. José Camnate na Bissign have invited all the diocesan communities to a "Day of fasting and prayer for peace in the world, in Africa and in Guinea-Bissau" to be held on December 13. According to information sent to Fides Agency by the Diocese of Bissau, in presenting the initiative, the Bishops point out: "May our prayer and our fasting lead us to accept peace through a life marked by truth, justice and reconciliation. World leaders, Africans and Guineans must think about the poorest of the poor. The democratic spirit must fill the hearts of everyone, especially of politicians and the military".
In tune with the wave of international solidarity in favor of the Philippines, a nation deeply wounded by Typhoon Haiyan, the Bishops recommend to all parish communities that "the fruit of fasting has to be destined to the victims of this natural disaster". Furthermore, the Catholic Church promotes a fundraiser for the Filipino people until Sunday, December 22.
On 6 and 7 December there was the usual Marian Pilgrimage to the Guinean National Shrine of Our Lady of the Nativity in Cacheu. Since we have just concluded the Year of Faith, the motto of the pilgrimage chosen was: "With Mary, we walk in the light of faith". As usual there were many young people and adults who carried out the pilgrimage on foot, marked by prayer and sacrifice. More than four thousand faithful then took part in the Mass of the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, concelebrated by the Bishops of the two dioceses , which was also attended by representatives of the state and the Muslim community. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 09/12/2013)
- 2014-04-12 - The Bishops on the eve of the election: vote for those who promote the common good
- 2014-04-11 - Presidential and parliamentary elections will be held on Sunday
- 2013-12-09 - On December 13, National Day of Prayer and Fasting for Peace convened by the Bishops
- 2012-12-28 - Rediscovering our faith and witnessing it in society: letter from the Bishop of Bissau
- 2012-11-14 - Cholera outbreak: lack of health facilities and functional water systems
- 2012-10-22 - Allegations to Portugal for the assault against the barracks, so "the isolation of the Country accentuates"
- 2012-10-02 - October 13 - opening of the Year of Faith; "Maria, increase our faith" theme of the 8 December pilgrimage
- 2012-09-24 - Bishop of Bissau's appeal: "we urgently need medicines for tuberculosis and AIDS"
- 2012-08-27 - Missionary experience of the Youth Movement to Build
- 2012-05-18 - The first soldiers of the CEDEAO have arrived , expectation for the formation of the transition government