ASIA/INDIA - In view of the general elections, Christians in prayer for the country's future
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - The power of prayer as an antidote to the social and political evils that plague the country: with this awareness Christians in India lived an ecumenical prayer vigil simultaneously all over the country, in squares and in public places, in view of the general elections, to be held within May 2014. The first "unified prayer Forum of India", was held on November 30 where the faithful gathered in over a thousand places scattered across the country to ask God for peace, reconciliation, justice and a special blessing on India. As Fides learns, in Delhi alone more than 10 thousand people prayed. In a note sent to Fides, the Archbishop Emeritus of Delhi, Vincent Michael Concessao, president of the organizing Committee, explained: "Our nation is going through a crucial moment and is in desperate need of our prayers. The country is experiencing social unrest, political, economic and moral crisis; we feel the urgency, as Christian Indians, to contribute with a continuing effort of prayer".
Samson Nath, Pastor of the Methodist Church, said: "We have to learn how to become a people of prayer, only then God will heal our land". Christians have offered very concrete prayers, for example for the Constitution of India and for those who exercise the legislative, executive and judicial power. They prayed for the president, the prime minister, for the various political parties, for the media and for the Church in India. Cries for reconciliation were raised, for young people, women and children, the poor and the needy.
Febin Mathew, a young lawyer of the Christian Evangelical Church of St. Thomas, said he was "impressed by the prayers for the judiciary", given that "justice is a victim in the Indian courts. Only the rich, who can afford the fees of a lawyer, get justice".
A prayer for the nation rises every Sunday from Indian churches, but this is the first time that all the churches came together in a public place to pray for the country's future. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2013)
- 2014-03-07 ASIA/INDIA - Where to be born female is considered "a disaster "
- 2014-03-05 ASIA/INDIA - Religious freedom at risk and violence against minorities, in view of the general elections
- 2014-03-03 ASIA/INDIA - Two men accused of having participated in the murder of the missionary Graham Staines have been acquitted
- 2014-02-25 ASIA/INDIA – The UN takes closer look at massacres in 2002 and the present situation of freedom of religion in Gujarat
- 2014-02-24 ASIA/INDIA - No to social exclusion, no to the caste system: Franciscans in India play a prophetic role
- 2014-02-20 ASIA/INDIA - 78 thousand children die of congenital heart disease every year
- 2014-02-20 ASIA/INDIA - Half of India's population lives in poverty: the responses of the Church
- 2014-02-17 ASIA/INDIA - Bishops' Pastoral Letter on the elections: "The leaders respond to the expectations of the people"
- 2014-02-14 ASIA/INDIA - "To be truly a Church of the poor": the final message of the Assembly of Bishops
- 2014-02-12 ASIA/INDIA - Bishops’ vademecum: Human dignity, compass for Indian society