ASIA/INDIA - In view of the general elections, Christians in prayer for the country's future
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - The power of prayer as an antidote to the social and political evils that plague the country: with this awareness Christians in India lived an ecumenical prayer vigil simultaneously all over the country, in squares and in public places, in view of the general elections, to be held within May 2014. The first "unified prayer Forum of India", was held on November 30 where the faithful gathered in over a thousand places scattered across the country to ask God for peace, reconciliation, justice and a special blessing on India. As Fides learns, in Delhi alone more than 10 thousand people prayed. In a note sent to Fides, the Archbishop Emeritus of Delhi, Vincent Michael Concessao, president of the organizing Committee, explained: "Our nation is going through a crucial moment and is in desperate need of our prayers. The country is experiencing social unrest, political, economic and moral crisis; we feel the urgency, as Christian Indians, to contribute with a continuing effort of prayer".
Samson Nath, Pastor of the Methodist Church, said: "We have to learn how to become a people of prayer, only then God will heal our land". Christians have offered very concrete prayers, for example for the Constitution of India and for those who exercise the legislative, executive and judicial power. They prayed for the president, the prime minister, for the various political parties, for the media and for the Church in India. Cries for reconciliation were raised, for young people, women and children, the poor and the needy.
Febin Mathew, a young lawyer of the Christian Evangelical Church of St. Thomas, said he was "impressed by the prayers for the judiciary", given that "justice is a victim in the Indian courts. Only the rich, who can afford the fees of a lawyer, get justice".
A prayer for the nation rises every Sunday from Indian churches, but this is the first time that all the churches came together in a public place to pray for the country's future. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2013)
- 2014-07-23 - ASIA/INDIA – Prison Ministry: the Church denounces overcrowding and is inspired by Fr. Kolbe
- 2014-07-23 - A special school to restore dignity and social role for the disabled
- 2014-07-22 - Religious violence increases in Uttar Pradesh
- 2014-07-09 - There is no end to poverty: it is estimated that there will be an increase of 100 million poor Indians
- 2014-07-09 - The drama of tea pickers left to themselves
- 2014-07-01 - Helping indigenous women and promoting their social and economic development
- 2014-06-20 - A Catholic Dalit is Deputy Prime Minister of the new state of Telangana
- 2014-06-14 - A Bishop: "Communicating the truth, without exagerating with violence against Christians"
- 2014-06-13 - Christians threatened after the murder of a believer in Orissa
- 2014-06-10 - existent sanitation facilities in the state schools of Madurai district