ASIA/INDIA - In view of the general elections, Christians in prayer for the country's future
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - The power of prayer as an antidote to the social and political evils that plague the country: with this awareness Christians in India lived an ecumenical prayer vigil simultaneously all over the country, in squares and in public places, in view of the general elections, to be held within May 2014. The first "unified prayer Forum of India", was held on November 30 where the faithful gathered in over a thousand places scattered across the country to ask God for peace, reconciliation, justice and a special blessing on India. As Fides learns, in Delhi alone more than 10 thousand people prayed. In a note sent to Fides, the Archbishop Emeritus of Delhi, Vincent Michael Concessao, president of the organizing Committee, explained: "Our nation is going through a crucial moment and is in desperate need of our prayers. The country is experiencing social unrest, political, economic and moral crisis; we feel the urgency, as Christian Indians, to contribute with a continuing effort of prayer".
Samson Nath, Pastor of the Methodist Church, said: "We have to learn how to become a people of prayer, only then God will heal our land". Christians have offered very concrete prayers, for example for the Constitution of India and for those who exercise the legislative, executive and judicial power. They prayed for the president, the prime minister, for the various political parties, for the media and for the Church in India. Cries for reconciliation were raised, for young people, women and children, the poor and the needy.
Febin Mathew, a young lawyer of the Christian Evangelical Church of St. Thomas, said he was "impressed by the prayers for the judiciary", given that "justice is a victim in the Indian courts. Only the rich, who can afford the fees of a lawyer, get justice".
A prayer for the nation rises every Sunday from Indian churches, but this is the first time that all the churches came together in a public place to pray for the country's future. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2013)
- 2015-11-25 - Day for Dalits dedicated to climate and environment
- 2015-11-20 - Cardinal Gracias: "This is how we will live the Jubilee of Mercy"
- 2015-11-17 - Aggression against Christians to "convert to Hinduism"
- 2015-11-12 - Appeal to Prime Minister Modi: "Protect religious minorities"
- 2015-11-10 - Depression, mental and emotional disorders for orphans, victims of armed conflict
- 2015-11-06 - Son of a Protestant pastor kidnapped
- 2015-11-04 - Hindu extremists against the growth of the Christian and Muslim population
- 2015-11-03 - The Report of the Commission of Inquiry on anti-Christian violence in Orissa is being prepared
- 2015-10-29 - Cardinal Alencherry: "India has to deal with serious issues, not the consumption of beef"
- 2015-10-24 - Dalit infants burnt alive: Bishops deplore inhuman act