ASIA/LEBANON - The Maronite Bishops: national sovereignty is under attack
Bkerké (Agenzia Fides) - Some Countries behave towards Lebanon "as if it were a sovereign State", and claim to pursue a "right to protection". In this way, "in fact, Lebanon becomes a hostage of the confrontation regarding regional balances and international policies". This is what the Maronite bishops say in the final statement of their monthly assembly held on Wednesday, December 4thin Bkerké, under the presidency of the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites Bechara Boutros Rai. In the statement sent to Fides Agency, it makes explicit reference to the acts of "piracy" against the sovereignty of the Lebanese State carried out by Israel through its "network of espionage and violation of the airspace". But there were also implicit references to the axis between Iran and Hezbollah, the Lebanese Shiite party. In Lebanon – the Maronite bishops denounce - "every community folds up in the construction of their own 'mini-state' ", with the support of allies outside the country.
The Maronite bishops use harsh words against the Lebanese political class accused of servility, corruption and cronyism on a sectarian basis, while they express "their highest esteem for the role carried out by the army and all law enforcement" in a period when institutional and political paralysis put the Country at the risk of disintegration. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/12/2013)
- 2015-11-13 - The President of Caritas Lebanon after the bombing in Beirut: our country is at risk
- 2015-11-06 - The Maronite Bishops: no to the division of Syria
- 2015-10-27 - Metropolitan Georges Khodr: who said Lebanon’s president must be Maronite?
- 2015-10-22 - ASIA/LEBANON – Leading members of Maronite Foundation stress necessity of recovery of nationality law for expatriate Lebanese
- 2015-10-21 - The Maronite diocese of Zahlé supports the breast cancer awareness campaign
- 2015-09-10 - Lebanese crisis, a delegation of Hezbollah meets with Maronite Patriarch
- 2015-09-01 - The Heads of Churches: the protests risk being "infiltrated"
- 2015-08-31 - Islamic-Christian summit postponed, while protests against politicians continue
- 2015-08-29 - A Muslim-Christian summit on the agenda to overcome the institutional crisis
- 2015-08-25 - Syriac Catholic Bishop Flavianus Michael Melki, martyr of the "Assyrian Genocide" will be beatified next Saturday