ASIA/LEBANON - The Maronite Bishops: national sovereignty is under attack
Bkerké (Agenzia Fides) - Some Countries behave towards Lebanon "as if it were a sovereign State", and claim to pursue a "right to protection". In this way, "in fact, Lebanon becomes a hostage of the confrontation regarding regional balances and international policies". This is what the Maronite bishops say in the final statement of their monthly assembly held on Wednesday, December 4thin Bkerké, under the presidency of the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites Bechara Boutros Rai. In the statement sent to Fides Agency, it makes explicit reference to the acts of "piracy" against the sovereignty of the Lebanese State carried out by Israel through its "network of espionage and violation of the airspace". But there were also implicit references to the axis between Iran and Hezbollah, the Lebanese Shiite party. In Lebanon – the Maronite bishops denounce - "every community folds up in the construction of their own 'mini-state' ", with the support of allies outside the country.
The Maronite bishops use harsh words against the Lebanese political class accused of servility, corruption and cronyism on a sectarian basis, while they express "their highest esteem for the role carried out by the army and all law enforcement" in a period when institutional and political paralysis put the Country at the risk of disintegration. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/12/2013)
- 2014-11-13 - The Maronite League: no foreign Country can decide on the future of Lebanon
- 2014-11-13 - Syrian Orthodox Church: international protection for Christians in the Nineveh Plain is needed
- 2014-11-10 - Patriarch Rai accuses the Lebanese politicians: "You have betrayed the Constitution"
- 2014-11-03 - Patriarch Rai: immediately elect a Christian President to save the Lebanese "model"
- 2014-10-01 - The President of Caritas Lebanon: hostility toward the Syrian refugees increases
- 2014-09-24 - Patriarch Rai: Lebanese Christians and Muslims share the same fate
- 2014-09-18 - The President of Caritas Lebanon: organized chaos in the Middle East also kills charity
- 2014-09-16 - New Mufti installed, a man of dialogue
- 2014-09-12 - Synod of the Armenian Catholic Church: let's get ready and join the Pope in the Mass on the centenary of the Genocide thenesteesntjeenstjnejestjieest n
- 2014-08-20 - Maronite Patriarch Rai: united also with Hezbolllah to block the road to the infiltration of the ISIL