ASIA/LEBANON - The Maronite Bishops: national sovereignty is under attack
Bkerké (Agenzia Fides) - Some Countries behave towards Lebanon "as if it were a sovereign State", and claim to pursue a "right to protection". In this way, "in fact, Lebanon becomes a hostage of the confrontation regarding regional balances and international policies". This is what the Maronite bishops say in the final statement of their monthly assembly held on Wednesday, December 4thin Bkerké, under the presidency of the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites Bechara Boutros Rai. In the statement sent to Fides Agency, it makes explicit reference to the acts of "piracy" against the sovereignty of the Lebanese State carried out by Israel through its "network of espionage and violation of the airspace". But there were also implicit references to the axis between Iran and Hezbollah, the Lebanese Shiite party. In Lebanon – the Maronite bishops denounce - "every community folds up in the construction of their own 'mini-state' ", with the support of allies outside the country.
The Maronite bishops use harsh words against the Lebanese political class accused of servility, corruption and cronyism on a sectarian basis, while they express "their highest esteem for the role carried out by the army and all law enforcement" in a period when institutional and political paralysis put the Country at the risk of disintegration. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/12/2013)
- 2014-04-11 - Neither Geagea, nor Aoun. For Patriarch Rai the new President must be a "figure of consensus"
- 2014-04-10 - The president of Caritas Lebanon: the international community has to open refugee camps in Syria
- 2014-03-26 - Patriarch Rai intervenes on the election of the new President
- 2014-03-18 - Patriarch Rai at the Mass for Caritas: the war of attrition in the Country must stop
- 2014-03-11 - Maronite Church: to encourage organ donation
- 2014-02-15 - The reduction of lands belonging to Christians continues
- 2014-02-10 - Feast of St. Maron, the Lebanese reflect on the "Bkerké Charter"
- 2014-02-05 - The victims of the Armenian Genocide will be canonized
- 2014-02-01 - Maronite priest Paul Karam new President of Caritas Lebanon
- 2014-01-23 - Patriarch Rai: Tripoli will not give in to the spiral of sectarian violence