ASIA/LEBANON - The Maronite Bishops: national sovereignty is under attack
Bkerké (Agenzia Fides) - Some Countries behave towards Lebanon "as if it were a sovereign State", and claim to pursue a "right to protection". In this way, "in fact, Lebanon becomes a hostage of the confrontation regarding regional balances and international policies". This is what the Maronite bishops say in the final statement of their monthly assembly held on Wednesday, December 4thin Bkerké, under the presidency of the Patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites Bechara Boutros Rai. In the statement sent to Fides Agency, it makes explicit reference to the acts of "piracy" against the sovereignty of the Lebanese State carried out by Israel through its "network of espionage and violation of the airspace". But there were also implicit references to the axis between Iran and Hezbollah, the Lebanese Shiite party. In Lebanon – the Maronite bishops denounce - "every community folds up in the construction of their own 'mini-state' ", with the support of allies outside the country.
The Maronite bishops use harsh words against the Lebanese political class accused of servility, corruption and cronyism on a sectarian basis, while they express "their highest esteem for the role carried out by the army and all law enforcement" in a period when institutional and political paralysis put the Country at the risk of disintegration. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/12/2013)
- 2015-01-19 - Patriarch Rai: also poverty destabilizes the Middle East
- 2015-01-15 - Maronite League: a UN resolution against the attacks on religions is needed
- 2015-01-14 - Frost and snow: first victims due to frostbite among the Syrian refugees
- 2015-01-08 - Maronite Bishops to MPs: elect the new President as soon as possible
- 2014-12-30 - Hypothesis of a meeting Aoun-Geagea to overcome divisions among political Christian forces
- 2014-12-19 - Appeal of the Chaldean Bishop of Beirut for displaced Iraqi Christians
- 2014-12-11 - The Syro-Catholic Bishops: let us apply the principles of the "Declaration of al-Azhar"
- 2014-12-10 - Patriarch Ignace Yussif III at the Synod of the Syro- Catholic Church: let us help to grasp the "signs of the times"
- 2014-12-04 - Maronite Bishops: they are turning the country into an oligarchy, at the expense of the Constitution, the people and the institutions
- 2014-11-26 - For Patriarch Rai dialogue between Hezbollah and Sunni of the "Future" Movement would take Lebanon out of its crisis