ASIA/INDIA - St. Teresa of Avila speaks to Asia
Bangalore (Agenzia Fides) - The Carmel of the future is called to offer tools that correspond to the thirst for God that is present today in Asia. Carmelite spirituality has immense possibilities to respond to this thirst for God, and to lead people in his relationship with God: this is what emerged from the conclusions of the Asian Congress entitled "Saint Teresa speaks to Asia", organized by the Carmelites in India in preparation for the fifth centenary of the birth of St. Teresa of Avila, reformer of the Carmelite Order. As Fides learns, the Congress, held in Bangalore from 28th November to 1st December, was attended by Msg. Albert D'Souza, Archbishop of Agra and Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference, Mgr. Bernard Moras, Archbishop of Bangalore, together with the other Bishops of Karnataka and the Superiors General of the various congregations existing in India. Over 500 Carmelite delegates from all over India and abroad were present.
The Congress revived the character, spirituality and doctrine of the Saint, without forgetting the cultural programs on Saint Tersea, like a film on her story.
All the communities of apostolic and contemplative life, religious and lay Carmelites - was stated at the conclusion of the work - should engage in the task of "living an evangelical and profound spiritual experience".
In the vast Asian continent, the Carmelites are called "to engage in an open dialogue with the great non-Christian religions, especially in the field of spirituality". To achieve this goal – conclude the Indian Carmelites - we must seek new forms of prayer. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 05/12/2013)
- 2015-09-30 - Catholic cemetery vandalized and violence against the faithful
- 2015-09-28 - Salesians: "At the service of the poor youth, the disadvantaged, the migrant, in South Asia"
- 2015-09-23 - Catechesis and evangelization, a task entrusted to all the baptized
- 2015-09-22 - The Andhra Pradesh government assures support to Churches
- 2015-09-18 - A Carmelite nun killed in Kerala
- 2015-09-15 - Catholic activist threatened with death by Hindu radicals
- 2015-09-14 - Christians to the President of India: "Justice for the victims of the massacres in Orissa"
- 2015-09-11 - Bombay Archdiocese to hold National Eucharistic Congress in November
- 2015-09-04 - A Jesuit: the Census on religions denies the "fear of conversions"
- 2015-09-03 - May the Day of the martyrs of Orissa be a "national event"