ASIA/HOLY LAND - Patriarch Twal: pray for rain
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - "Rain is late in our Holy Land and the threat of drought is hanging over us. In times of drought, we must pray that God bless us and have mercy on us and provide us with our needs – especially rain - and remove from our land the evil of drought". This is what the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem Fouad Twal says to the faithful of Holy Land in a letter written in Arabic and released on 28 November, in which he asks that the first Sunday of Advent, on December 1, might be a day of prayer and intercession for this intention. The letter, released by the official channels of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, invites the faithful to "pray to and intercede to God Almighty and all powerful that He might take away the plague of drought from our land and remember us in our trouble, that He might lighten the drought and water us with rains and resusciate our land, all plants and animals and all we have. "Before us, said Patriarch Twal, we have the example of Elijah the prophet who prayed at the time of drought and his prayer was answered (1 Kings 18: 41-45)".
Already during the Advent of 2010, Patriarch Twal asked to pray to invoke the gift of rain from Heaven, while the region was suffering from a particularly dry season. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 29/11/2013)
- 2015-11-30 - Inauguration of the "multipurpose room" of the Catholic parish in Gaza
- 2015-11-21 - Caritas Jerusalem: "collective punishment" of the Palestinians must cease
- 2015-11-16 - The Catholic Bishops: fight terrorism without "duplicity"
- 2015-11-05 - The Catholic Bishops: more confessors in the Shrines for the Holy Year of Mercy
- 2015-10-30 - Pilgrims visit Holy Land, despite the violence
- 2015-10-21 - Olive harvest has begun in Gethsemane
- 2015-10-20 - Violence in Jerusalem, the Christian Youth of Palestine announces a prayer vigil for peace
- 2015-10-19 - Patriarch Twal: the "wall of Jerusalem" disfigures the face of the Holy City
- 2015-10-16 - Caritas Jerusalem: pilgrimages cancelled due to the blocks in the neighborhoods of the Holy City
- 2015-10-15 - Religious leaders and Shimon Peres against sectarian violence