AFRICA/TANZANIA - RELIGIOUS MEN AND WOMEN AND EVANGELISATION IN TANZANIA: INCULTURATION OF THE FAITH, MISSIONARY ANIMATION, USE OF MEDIA
Dar es Salaam (Fides Service) – A local Church ever more committed to missionary activity and the inculturation of the faith also using the media. This picture emerges from an annual report sent to Fides Service by the Mission Awareness Committee (MAC) of the Religious Superiors Association of Tanzania. Among the many interesting events reported: an Inculturation Week in March which consisted of Mission Awareness Seminars and liturgical celebrations using African and Indian symbols; a one day Mission Awareness Seminar on 23 February sponsored by the Tanzania Young Catholic Students attended by 110 young people; half day mission awareness Seminar sponsored by the Pontifical Mission Societies office of Morogoro diocese attended by 90 participants, who reflected on the missionary role of religious and laity.
MAC members are working closely with Father Liberatus Mwenda, national director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in Tanzania. Father Mwenda asked MAC to assist diocesan PMS directors in various projects of missionary animation and evangelisation programmes. There is a close working relationship between PMS and MAV especially in the archdioceses of Dar es Salaam and Mwanza, and the dioceses of Zanzibar, Morogoro, Iringa and Mbeya.
MAC is also deeply committed in the field of social communications. Five missionaries are working on a one hour panel discussion in Swahili on the Year of the Rosary, to be broadcast on Radio Tanzania. Another broadcasting company Radio Tumaini interviewed three Tanzania deacons of the Society of the Precious Blood studying at the Salvatorian Institute in Morogoro who went to Chile in December 2001 as the first African missionaries of their society. MAC continues to help coordinate four 50 minute video productions a year by Video Tumaini that are broadcast on the Swahili programme of Coastal Television Network. MAC works closely with the editors of the different Swahili missionary magazines in Tanzania. LM (Fides Service 25/6/2003 EM lines 24 Words: 323)
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/AFGHANISTAN – Humanitarian aid and videogames for orphans in Herat
- 2014-01-29 - Peace and reconciliation: the expectations of the Afghan civil society
- 2013-09-23 - Minors abducted and exploited for the practice of "Bacha Bazi"
- 2013-09-09 - "To execute the converts to Christianity": shock-appeal in Parliament
- 2013-04-09 - In the country there are more than 8 million students, 39% of whom are girls
- 2013-04-03 - Parents forced to sell their children to cope with poverty
- 2012-11-29 - The African Church will set up "Faith, Culture and Development" Organ
- 2012-09-07 - A million children under 5 years of age are malnourished
- 2012-06-26 - Victims and people missing due to heavy rainfall recorded in the last days
- 2012-05-25 - The Taliban attack girls' schools in order to force the closure