AFRICA/BURUNDI - Great Lakes civil Society at a meeting to consolidate peace
Bujumbura (Agenzia Fides) - The actors of civil society in the Great Lakes region have gathered since 25 November in Bujumbura, capital of Burundi, to outline a common strategy to consolidate peace in the region.
According to a statement sent to Fides Agency, the initiative is organized with the support of the African Centre for Peaceful Resolution of Conflicts, of the World partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict and the Nairobi Africa Peace Initiative, with the financial support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands.
The meeting aims to contribute to the consolidation of peace in the region, namely in the Democratic Republic of Congo, in Rwanda, Burundi and Uganda, through the initiatives of local development and regional approaches to conflict management.
For at least two decades, the region has been living in instability due to the presence of various armed groups. The situation in eastern DRC is particularly critical, where there are groups sponsored by neighboring States, such as the M23 (which has suffered a severe military defeat), and foreign armed groups such as the ADF- Nalu and LRA, FNL and the FDLR. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2013)
- 2015-08-25 - In Bujumbura, one lives in fear: every night murders and disappearances of suspected opponents
- 2015-08-04 - AFRICA/BURUNDI – Night shooting in the capital, human rights activist wounded
- 2015-08-03 - General Nshimirimana killed: fighting within the government or rebel ambush?
- 2015-07-16 - Doubts of the Burundian opposition regarding the mediation of Museveni
- 2015-07-13 - Arsenal of the rebels discovered, clashes in the north: confusing situation on the eve of the presidential vote
- 2015-07-06 - Rifts in the presidential party and the army on Nkurunziza's third term
- 2015-07-02 - More and more weapons circulate even among the opposition, a very worrying situation
- 2015-07-01 - Two hundred thousand Burundian refugees abroad, some priests forced to flee because of threats
- 2015-06-26 - Opposition announces the boycott of elections
- 2015-06-22 - AFRICA/BURUNDI – Fear is widespread as legislative elections approach