AFRICA/BURUNDI - Great Lakes civil Society at a meeting to consolidate peace
Bujumbura (Agenzia Fides) - The actors of civil society in the Great Lakes region have gathered since 25 November in Bujumbura, capital of Burundi, to outline a common strategy to consolidate peace in the region.
According to a statement sent to Fides Agency, the initiative is organized with the support of the African Centre for Peaceful Resolution of Conflicts, of the World partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict and the Nairobi Africa Peace Initiative, with the financial support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands.
The meeting aims to contribute to the consolidation of peace in the region, namely in the Democratic Republic of Congo, in Rwanda, Burundi and Uganda, through the initiatives of local development and regional approaches to conflict management.
For at least two decades, the region has been living in instability due to the presence of various armed groups. The situation in eastern DRC is particularly critical, where there are groups sponsored by neighboring States, such as the M23 (which has suffered a severe military defeat), and foreign armed groups such as the ADF- Nalu and LRA, FNL and the FDLR. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2013)
- 2015-05-28 - The Church withdraws from the election process: "we cannot make ourselves guarantors of elections full of gaps"
- 2015-05-21 - The Church cannot support an electoral process that is likely to divide citizens
- 2015-05-19 - After the failed coup, demonstrations resume against the third presidential term
- 2015-05-16 - Five radio stations attacked during violence over an attempted coup in Bujumbura
- 2015-05-15 - Coup failed: "The streets of Bujumbura are deserted and the national broadcaster is the only outlet still broadcasting"
- 2015-05-11 - AFRICA/BURUNDI – There are already more than 50,000 Burundian refugees in neighboring Countries
- 2015-05-08 - Difficult negotiations between the government and opposition to overcome the political crisis
- 2015-05-07 - "May elections be held" ask the Bishops, invoking the path of dialogue
- 2015-05-05 - The Constitutional Court approves third term for Nkurunziza, while protests continue
- 2015-05-04 - AFRICA/BURUNDI – Shooting in Bujumbura while protesters make their way to the center of the capital