AFRICA/BURUNDI - Great Lakes civil Society at a meeting to consolidate peace
Bujumbura (Agenzia Fides) - The actors of civil society in the Great Lakes region have gathered since 25 November in Bujumbura, capital of Burundi, to outline a common strategy to consolidate peace in the region.
According to a statement sent to Fides Agency, the initiative is organized with the support of the African Centre for Peaceful Resolution of Conflicts, of the World partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict and the Nairobi Africa Peace Initiative, with the financial support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands.
The meeting aims to contribute to the consolidation of peace in the region, namely in the Democratic Republic of Congo, in Rwanda, Burundi and Uganda, through the initiatives of local development and regional approaches to conflict management.
For at least two decades, the region has been living in instability due to the presence of various armed groups. The situation in eastern DRC is particularly critical, where there are groups sponsored by neighboring States, such as the M23 (which has suffered a severe military defeat), and foreign armed groups such as the ADF- Nalu and LRA, FNL and the FDLR. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2013)
- 2015-09-25 - The control of rare Burundian earths behind the political crisis related to the third term of Nkurunziza?
- 2015-09-24 - The government rejects the invitation to dialogue "with all" addressed by the Bishops
- 2015-09-16 - UN warning: "The crisis in Burundi can trigger a broader regional conflict"
- 2015-09-12 - The Bishops denounce the climate of violence and the rekindling of the spirit of division of the Country
- 2015-09-11 - The Chief of Staff escapes a road ambush carried out by rebel soldiers
- 2015-09-10 - Assault against a military post near the capital, the population takes refuge in the parish
- 2015-08-25 - In Bujumbura, one lives in fear: every night murders and disappearances of suspected opponents
- 2015-08-04 - AFRICA/BURUNDI – Night shooting in the capital, human rights activist wounded
- 2015-08-03 - General Nshimirimana killed: fighting within the government or rebel ambush?
- 2015-07-16 - Doubts of the Burundian opposition regarding the mediation of Museveni