AFRICA/BURUNDI - Great Lakes civil Society at a meeting to consolidate peace
Bujumbura (Agenzia Fides) - The actors of civil society in the Great Lakes region have gathered since 25 November in Bujumbura, capital of Burundi, to outline a common strategy to consolidate peace in the region.
According to a statement sent to Fides Agency, the initiative is organized with the support of the African Centre for Peaceful Resolution of Conflicts, of the World partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict and the Nairobi Africa Peace Initiative, with the financial support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands.
The meeting aims to contribute to the consolidation of peace in the region, namely in the Democratic Republic of Congo, in Rwanda, Burundi and Uganda, through the initiatives of local development and regional approaches to conflict management.
For at least two decades, the region has been living in instability due to the presence of various armed groups. The situation in eastern DRC is particularly critical, where there are groups sponsored by neighboring States, such as the M23 (which has suffered a severe military defeat), and foreign armed groups such as the ADF- Nalu and LRA, FNL and the FDLR. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/11/2013)
- 2014-12-10 - "Elections are an opportunity for the Country and not a step back" warn the Bishops
- 2014-09-11 - Missionaries killed: "We do not believe in the police’s version, however, we will continue with our mission", says a nun
- 2014-09-09 - "The murdered nuns will be buried in Africa: love to the very end” says former regional Xavarian superior
- 2014-09-08 - Three Xaverian Missionaries killed in Burundi: the mission is full of people anxious to express sympathy with the sisters
- 2014-07-08 - The 'untouchables' of Burundi still waiting for full integration
- 2014-05-08 - The President of the Episcopal Conference announces the Diocesan Synods in order "to strengthen unity and deepen faith"
- 2014-03-25 - Parliament rejects the Constitutional Revision
- 2014-03-18 - "We are very concerned about the growing tensions" says local Church sources to Fides
- 2013-11-28 - Great Lakes civil Society at a meeting to consolidate peace
- 2013-11-06 - "Healing the ills of Africa to prevent tragedies such as what happened in Lampedusa "