AFRICA/LIBYA - " Despite the uncertainty of today I am confident that peace can explode" said Mgr. Martinelli
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - "Popular pressure for social pacification is certainly a good thing, and I believe that in any moment peace can explode in Libya" says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, Libya.
Both in Benghazi and Tripoli (capital of Cyrenaica) popular pressure is accentuated so that the various militias that control the two cities lay down their arms and allow the security forces to exercise their authority. On November 15, a protest march was interrupted by a shooting that caused 46 deaths and more than 500 people were injured. As a sign of protest the city's residents took to the streets to demonstrate their intolerance for the presence of irregular armed groups.
Even in Benghazi, after yesterday's clashes between the Islamist militia and army that caused 9 deaths and 51 wounded, the city authorities declared three days of civil disobedience.
"In Tripoli, one lives in tension but the hottest area is currently in Benghazi, where there is the Apostolic Vicar, Mgr. Magro, with some collaborators", said Mgr. Martinelli . "This is a limited presence, but allows us to continue our commitment towards the small, reduced Catholic community".
"We are living difficult and painful moments. Libya is a bit of an enigma, it is not always possible to understand how things are but I trust that Libyans will be able to find peace", concluded Mgr. Martinelli. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2013)
- 2014-12-19 - AFRICA/LIBYA – Foreign staff on the run from a looted hospital; health care system collapsing
- 2014-12-04 - AFRICA/LIBYA – Not only local militia, also foreign interests clash in Libya
- 2014-10-24 - Despite the clashes in Benghazi markets are well stocked
- 2014-10-20 - Elements of the Islamic State and Boko Haram are in Libya, says the Prime Minister
- 2014-10-16 - "Bombing continues, with less intensity", says the Apostolic Vicar of Benghazi
- 2014-10-15 - "The population is locked in the house, fighting continues on the outskirts of Benghazi", says the Apostolic Vicar
- 2014-09-25 - Not only in Syria and Iraq, air raids also continue in Libya
- 2014-09-11 - Ethnic groups and oil in the Libyan civil war
- 2014-09-01 - “We no longer hear bomb explosions, the situation would seem calmer” says Bishop Martinelli
- 2014-08-04 - "Even if only one Christian remains I will stay here", says the Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli