AFRICA/ANGOLA - A senior Angolan wanted by Brazil for human trafficking
Luanda (Agenzia Fides) - The Brazilian authorities have issued an international arrest warrant against a senior Angolan officer accused of being involved in trafficking of Brazilian women for prostitution in Angola, South Africa, Portugal and Austria.
We are talking about Bento dos Santos Kangamba, General of the Angolan Army Reserve, entrepreneur and owner of a football team, linked to the Angolan President, José Eduardo dos Santos for having married a granddaughter.
The federal police found out about the trafficking of women after a year-long investigation within the "Operação Garina". Garina means "little girl" in Angolan slang.
According to the Brazilian authorities, since 2007 to date, trafficking has generated earnings of at least $45 million for the criminal organization.
Due to the fact that an extradition treaty is not in force between Angola and Brazil, for the moment Kangamba does not risk arrest. A judiciary treaty, which regulates extradition procedures between the two Countries, was approved in 2011 by the Angolan Parliament. But President Dos Santos has not yet promulgated it and is therefore ineffective.
In June this year the police of the Principality of Monaco had tried to stop Kangamba in connection with the cash transfer of $ 3 million from Portugal to France. But thanks to his diplomatic passport Kangamba was able to avoid arrest.
Other senior Angolans are under investigation in Portugal for money laundering. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/11/2013)
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/ANGOLA – Archbishop of Luanda appointed
- 2014-02-13 - The challenges of ethics for Catholic leaders
- 2013-11-28 - Tensions in Angola after the killing of an opponent; the Bishops: "one must follow the path of peace"
- 2013-11-19 - A senior Angolan wanted by Brazil for human trafficking
- 2013-11-07 - "Abortion is a threat to the very existence of the nation", the Bishops said
- 2013-08-27 - Increase sea fishing to contibuire the fight against poverty
- 2013-08-24 - Luanda, the most expensive city in the world where many do not have anything and just few have everything
- 2013-06-06 - More than 52,000 Congolese expelled from Angola in 3 weeks; an NGO reports cases of sexual violence
- 2013-03-21 - The Bishops criticize the words of the leader of UNITA
- 2013-01-26 - 2013 State budget: social spending increases but those for the defense are still remain very high