ASIA/INDIA - India needs a "Magna Carta" for children's rights
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - "Every month about a hundred thousand Indian children die from causes related to malnutrition. Many die because of infectious diseases that could be cured, but malnutrition has lowered children's immunity system. The responsibility for these deaths is only one: Indian society": says in a note sent to Fides by the Christian Sajan George Kavinkalath, President of the "Mother Teresa Foundation for children", launching an appeal for the protection and safeguarding of childhood in India. "The first task of social justice is to save the lives of children. In India, there is a growing proportion of young beggars, vagabonds, crippled, often victims of exploitation by criminal organizations. But a society that does not act to stop this phenomenon and to save children also becomes a criminal", he insists. "Our vision of the future passes through the value and care that we give to new generations. The first challenge for India is primary universal education, next to the health and growth of children. Therefore, a solemn legislative affirmation is needed on equal access to education for girls and against any discrimination of gender and caste or economic and social status, a sort of Magna Carta for the child".
According to the President, the responsibility of non-governmental Organizations is "to work to ensure compliance regarding social justice, the environment, human rights", to help avoid "anxiety, fear and despair in society". "The welfare of children - concludes George - should not be treated as an administrative decoration, but must become a central concern of the nation". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 15/11/2013)
- 2015-07-03 - One hundred years of mission in the media for the Daughters of St. Paul
- 2015-07-02 - Stop violence against women
- 2015-07-01 - A radio station to help farmers in Bundelkhand
- 2015-06-27 - Anti-Christian Violence in Kerala
- 2015-06-12 - The Director of the PMS: "Farmers and religious minorities abandoned by the Indian government"
- 2015-06-02 - Suicides of farmers, a scourge of society
- 2015-06-01 - The Salesians start a center for renewable energy in the Northeast
- 2015-05-29 - Street dentists for the poor: a widespread service
- 2015-05-20 - The Indian Bishops: "We would be happy for the canonization of Mother Teresa"
- 2015-05-16 - Five attacks in five days against the Christians in Madhya Pradesh