ASIA/INDIA - India needs a "Magna Carta" for children's rights
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - "Every month about a hundred thousand Indian children die from causes related to malnutrition. Many die because of infectious diseases that could be cured, but malnutrition has lowered children's immunity system. The responsibility for these deaths is only one: Indian society": says in a note sent to Fides by the Christian Sajan George Kavinkalath, President of the "Mother Teresa Foundation for children", launching an appeal for the protection and safeguarding of childhood in India. "The first task of social justice is to save the lives of children. In India, there is a growing proportion of young beggars, vagabonds, crippled, often victims of exploitation by criminal organizations. But a society that does not act to stop this phenomenon and to save children also becomes a criminal", he insists. "Our vision of the future passes through the value and care that we give to new generations. The first challenge for India is primary universal education, next to the health and growth of children. Therefore, a solemn legislative affirmation is needed on equal access to education for girls and against any discrimination of gender and caste or economic and social status, a sort of Magna Carta for the child".
According to the President, the responsibility of non-governmental Organizations is "to work to ensure compliance regarding social justice, the environment, human rights", to help avoid "anxiety, fear and despair in society". "The welfare of children - concludes George - should not be treated as an administrative decoration, but must become a central concern of the nation". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 15/11/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - The Bishops to the President: We will give a great contribution to the country
- 2014-03-27 - Street children who live in train stations rescued by a Catholic priest
- 2014-03-21 - "Do justice": the Indian Church next to the weakest
- 2014-03-14 - Three convicted and six acquitted for the rape of a nun in the massacres of Christians in Orissa
- 2014-03-12 - "A just peace! "Church's solidarity with the people of Syria
- 2014-03-10 - Christians in Goa ask: To postpone the elections scheduled on Holy Thursday
- 2014-03-10 - Attack in a prayer hall in Orissa, two people arrested
- 2014-03-07 - Where to be born female is considered "a disaster "
- 2014-03-05 - Religious freedom at risk and violence against minorities, in view of the general elections
- 2014-03-03 - Two men accused of having participated in the murder of the missionary Graham Staines have been acquitted