ASIA/INDIA - India needs a "Magna Carta" for children's rights
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - "Every month about a hundred thousand Indian children die from causes related to malnutrition. Many die because of infectious diseases that could be cured, but malnutrition has lowered children's immunity system. The responsibility for these deaths is only one: Indian society": says in a note sent to Fides by the Christian Sajan George Kavinkalath, President of the "Mother Teresa Foundation for children", launching an appeal for the protection and safeguarding of childhood in India. "The first task of social justice is to save the lives of children. In India, there is a growing proportion of young beggars, vagabonds, crippled, often victims of exploitation by criminal organizations. But a society that does not act to stop this phenomenon and to save children also becomes a criminal", he insists. "Our vision of the future passes through the value and care that we give to new generations. The first challenge for India is primary universal education, next to the health and growth of children. Therefore, a solemn legislative affirmation is needed on equal access to education for girls and against any discrimination of gender and caste or economic and social status, a sort of Magna Carta for the child".
According to the President, the responsibility of non-governmental Organizations is "to work to ensure compliance regarding social justice, the environment, human rights", to help avoid "anxiety, fear and despair in society". "The welfare of children - concludes George - should not be treated as an administrative decoration, but must become a central concern of the nation". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 15/11/2013)
- 2014-03-07 ASIA/INDIA - Where to be born female is considered "a disaster "
- 2014-03-05 ASIA/INDIA - Religious freedom at risk and violence against minorities, in view of the general elections
- 2014-03-03 ASIA/INDIA - Two men accused of having participated in the murder of the missionary Graham Staines have been acquitted
- 2014-02-25 ASIA/INDIA – The UN takes closer look at massacres in 2002 and the present situation of freedom of religion in Gujarat
- 2014-02-24 ASIA/INDIA - No to social exclusion, no to the caste system: Franciscans in India play a prophetic role
- 2014-02-20 ASIA/INDIA - 78 thousand children die of congenital heart disease every year
- 2014-02-20 ASIA/INDIA - Half of India's population lives in poverty: the responses of the Church
- 2014-02-17 ASIA/INDIA - Bishops' Pastoral Letter on the elections: "The leaders respond to the expectations of the people"
- 2014-02-14 ASIA/INDIA - "To be truly a Church of the poor": the final message of the Assembly of Bishops
- 2014-02-12 ASIA/INDIA - Bishops’ vademecum: Human dignity, compass for Indian society